RADIO RADIO RADIO

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
greg68div
Regular
Regular

RADIO RADIO RADIO

Post by greg68div »

hello folks

I am from Belfast Northern Ireland, and I have been interested in getting back into radio for the last few months. In fact its been eating away at me. I was an 11m operator about 10 years ago and haven?t been near it since. When I moved house 3 years ago I found my old cobra 148 in the attic and am so glad I kept it. The last time I modulated with anyone was in 2001. I quickly made up a di-pole and in 2001 all I heard on AM was truckers, on SSB was USA etc etc. Any time before that (circa <97)the Italians and the French had drowned out anyone else. I got my first cb when I was 11, and was operating SSB when I was 13. My first set was a midland 40channel, then I got a colonel fr360(which got confiscated by British Telecom due to interference to the office next door ? they could hear every word I said through their internal phone extension. When they rang 235 to the other office they heard me and phoned BT to sort it. The BT guy asked if I had a ?contraband? radio ? I was 14 and totally complied. I was in the middle of a QSO with a lad in turkey at the time), then a ham international concorde mk2, and settled with a cobra 148. My antenna was a ham international ? wave. I regularly used 26.785mhz(I think) for a call channel along with the triple 5. I am 29 now and am quite settled with the missus and the cat and the dog. I am considering getting a ranger 2950, or perhaps a Lincoln(though I would need the blue light conversion haha ? where would I get the bulb???)

When I was QSL-ing then I had to use a P.O. box. Is it still the same. Where does the DTI, or whoever the radio police are, stand with the view of ssb. I remember we never gave out our postal addresses as we were sure we seen transit vans with aerials all over it

Anyways I thought I would register on this board for the pure nostalgia value. Keep the good work up lads and lasses. You never know I might convice the missus to let me put up an antenna

Regards

Greg N.I