Amateur and Freebanding

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
BasingstokeGTX

Amateur and Freebanding

Post by BasingstokeGTX »

I will be going on my course and taking the exam for my foundation. Is it frowned upon if you use SSB in the amateur world?

Basically will I get a telling off if I am using and have got a amateur license?
Robin1
Top Poster
Top Poster

RE: Amateur and Freebanding

Post by Robin1 »

No, In the amateur world HF is built upon many SSB modes such as Lower side band which is used below 14.000mhz and there is upper side band whch is used over 14.000mhz. As an amateur you can use many modes that follow the guidelines of the uk bandplans. Without the SSB we would really be able to dx.

Mind you using SSB or AM on cb radio can be frowned upon and remember SSB is the worst for TVI and EMC when using 10 watts.

You will be taught about all this in the course!

:)
BasingstokeGTX

Post by BasingstokeGTX »

ok thanks Robin
Handle: GTX
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM742

Post by ScotchEgg »

11m use is certainly frowned upon and many but not all hams dont rate CB at all. I was under the impression that AM was worst for causing TVI etc?
I havent done the foundation etc tho. Fm is good for DX tho, it can be very interesting.
The legend of the "Scotch Egg".
"unique in my duplicity"

UGLY BOB on SCOTCH EGG... "I kinda had you pictured as the sort who would enjoy beating the bejesus out of people with a four foot dildo."
kbuck
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM084

Post by kbuck »

Hey people,

At the moment I am just a muppet, but was thinking about buying the Ranger RCI-2950DX maybe in a week or so!

What if your not doing an amateur license but still want to use USB or LSB I take it that would be illegal?

Cheers
Kev, 26-TM-084 - Stafford, England
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM742

Post by ScotchEgg »

yes technically, anything outside of the 2 blocks of 40 FM channels and 4w is illegal in the UK.
take a look here: http://www.tangomike.net/?page_id=12
I along with many thousands others operate on 11m (26-30mhz) on other modes such as USB. I also have the RCI 2950DX coming this week :wink:
The legend of the "Scotch Egg".
"unique in my duplicity"

UGLY BOB on SCOTCH EGG... "I kinda had you pictured as the sort who would enjoy beating the bejesus out of people with a four foot dildo."
kbuck
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM084

Post by kbuck »

Thanks for that Callum.

Cough, Cough only 4w oh......! :-$ :wink:

You will have to let us all know how you get on with RCI 2950DX when you get it! Oh and ive been on your website, nice!

All the best!
Kev, 26-TM-084 - Stafford, England
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

I think it would be unfair to say that all radio Amateurs approve or disapprove of CB or 11 meter use.

I have heard many different opinions from Yes I indulge from time to time in 11m SSB to these guys are crazy fools who will ruin it for us legitimate users.

Although its illegal I think a good rule of thumb is that It OK as long as you
- dont cause interference with TV and radio serviced.
- dont cause interference with the legitimate users of 26 -28 MHz.
- Defiantly dont encroach into the 10 and 12 meter Amateur radio bands.

Also bear in mind that the two legal 40 channel FM systems are allocated on a secondary basis. so you are allowed to use them as long as you dont cause interference with the primary user (the MoD)
Animal

Post by Animal »

11m use is generally frowned upon by licensed amateurs - they think it's all pseudo wannabee DJ's, bucket-mouth's, crack-crazed hoodies & the like (it might well be on Ch19) but it's an ignorant view clouded by elitism & predjudice & couldn't be further from the truth on 27.555Mhz where most (yeah, there is the odd one!) are good operators who stick to an unwritten code of radio etiquette which would shame a lot of amateurs. :shock:

Probably best to keep schtum about your 11m activities if you do join an amateur club to do your foundation IMHO :?

Good luck with the course. :D

Animal :twisted:
Rig ~ Tomy Baby Monitor (8 Pill)
Mic ~ Heil Element in a Pot Noodle Cup
Ant ~ Two co-phased coathangers
Power ~ Running off two lemons
Amp ~ Soviet Tetrode driving a flux-capacitor
Rotator ~ Cement mixer motor with dimmer switch
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Yep,

Mentioning 11m SSB in your local Ham Club will make you as popular as a moors murderer. As in: not very popular at all :roll:

Which is ironic, as a good few hams cut their teeth on 11m SSB. Some stay as Hams, some return. Some never even went away. :lol:

Overall, I agree with ryan_paul and Animal on this one.
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

Mentioning that you use ANY illegal equipment or bands would not be the best option when you are licenced ham.
I know hams who have similar interests to me, but we do not discuss them, other than in the past tense, as in before I got licenced. Or at least not whilst on the air or at the club.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

Hows this for timing.
On my clubs on the air meeting last night there was some talk about modifying an Elecraft K2 ? 100 to cover the 60 meter and CB and 11 meter.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Most hams frown on anything - that's why a lot of them have furrowed brows you know.

Notice I said most, not all. The frowny types would be the ones offended by that remark. Still when they get in their little cliques in the clubs something for them to talk about.

Don't be exclusive one way or another. I salute the states. The hams there still use the CB's and that stigma isn't there. I contacted via a CB link a bunch of Florida hams who have guidedd me to a radio store in Orlando where i'm picking up some gear at much lower than UK prices.

I seldom hear cb'ers, breakers, banditos, pirates, freebanders - whatever you care to call them have a 20 minute "over" condemning hams and their bands/practices.

People say never the twain shall meet. I say why not?

Peace!
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
Mr6
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM093

Post by Mr6 »

I'm doing my Foundation Licence at a local club, but fully intend to keep on 11 meter DX'ing even after I can use the 2 meter and 10 meter bands legally.

I really don't 'get' the Ham snobbery about the CB/11 meter bands.
-----------------------
26-TM-093