Converting my AR144 to cover 555

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Re: Converting my AR144 to cover 555

Post by Ashtec »

Black Spirit wrote:I have a 2716 eprom here that was already programmed for the MC145106 [pulled from a MK2 148] that was LO.LO - HI +UK [The 4008's were also removed from the radio] How its fitted onto a board and wired up i have no idea, There was if i recall a bunch of diodes connected up on the back of the band switch though.

It should still be ok and If its any use to anyone they can have it.

I will take it mate..............
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

Ashtec wrote:

I will take it mate..............
Your lucky, I just caught the mrs taking the other package for you too the PO, So opened it and popped it in, It has 145106 written on the top.

Remember this eprom isnt the same as your normal UK type and wont work if fitted in the same manner as say the spectrum ones...
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Yep i bet it may be set up the same as the spectrum one's for 10 meter and cb band's which you have to put diode's in line to set which bands you whant a lot of people and my self remove the eprom's off the spectrum pcb as the pcb is a big old thing to have in the radio :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well thanks there Nick like i say there no rush at all mate for my bit's at all i think we can all say that your a very trusted trader it evey way.
You will have to tell me what you drink Nick and i will send you a crate of what you drink up to you as ive all way been happy with your deals or help with information on mods.............................

Dont say your ok let me know what you drink and i will get some think sent up to you............

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
RD250
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RD250 »

Hi Paul
I've emailed you a basic intro file on how to understand how the EPROM is usually configured plus the text based data format.

I did look at the EPROM Data Book again and the stuff I have written could be used with the General Purpose EPROM PCB described on Pages 43 and 44 of the EPROM Data book.

However, I'd prefer if that PCB used a 7805 regulator. Also you have to fit option link B. Also you have to disconnect the A13 and A14 pins from 5V
and tie them to 0V GND if you use a 27C256 EPROM.

But otherwise it is at least representative of the hardware that would run with the tutorial I sent you for a 148.

I can also send you another .asm file with LOW, MID and the UK40FM data for a mk2 148. You could see if you could modify it to add the HIGH band codes.

Note that you obviously need a programmer that can work with .s19 files and also a UV eraser allowing you to erase and reuse EPROMs as you experiment.
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wheel bender »

I mentioned that I was still using cb radio to a customer of mine that drives trucks. And he said he'd got a 144 and promptly showed it to me. He's interested in an fm mod and muppets on it. I've been in touch with mr maurer in austria and he says that the module he puts in to adams' will do exactly the same things in a 144. The only problem is the lack of switches for all the gizmos. The 144 is a great looking radio and seems to be of a very similar size to the 341/200 muppet sets. If I had one I'd get loads of those small push buttons the Americans use down the sides of their radios and send it off to Austria! I think that may still happen.....I'll keep you informed.
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
RD250
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RD250 »

I guess nobody is really that interested about EPROMs then... :(

No response after 3 days from Paul after I typed out a lengthy tutorial and emailed it to him.

Ultimately I'd have explained how to design a decent EPROM board that meets all the interface specs for the MC145106 PLL chip (and the EPROM)instead of the dodgy commercial designs that have been on the CB scene for years (decades).

All the EPROM boards I saw weren't designed properly and that includes the ones from the major suppliers but I guess they 'worked' despite not meeting the basic interface requirements outlined in the datasheets for the parts they used. With a little thought and virtually no extra cost the designs could have been more professional.

The designs in the EPROM data book (didn't read all of it) look to be just as bad.
dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dcwuk »

I am interested but would need a comprehensive tutorial from start to finish :D
I have a really nice AR144 sitting here doing nothing so even if I made pigs ear of it.
It would not really matter
dcw
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

RD250 wrote:I guess nobody is really that interested about EPROMs then... :(

No response after 3 days from Paul after I typed out a lengthy tutorial and emailed it to him.

Ultimately I'd have explained how to design a decent EPROM board that meets all the interface specs for the MC145106 PLL chip (and the EPROM)instead of the dodgy commercial designs that have been on the CB scene for years (decades).

All the EPROM boards I saw weren't designed properly and that includes the ones from the major suppliers but I guess they 'worked' despite not meeting the basic interface requirements outlined in the datasheets for the parts they used. With a little thought and virtually no extra cost the designs could have been more professional.

The designs in the EPROM data book (didn't read all of it) look to be just as bad.
No No i thank you very much there RD ive just been that busy with my son and his dam car deals one min his got one car then the next his got a different one then he come runing to me when they need some think doing to them Kids i could do with out them so ive just not had any time to my self to sit down and studdy + ive had this dam headache that i can not get rid of i tell ya i put this down to my son he pisses me off i tell ya. Ive just got note done i tell you.
Ive got ugly bob's radio here and ive not finshed that off yet as i can not concentrate all so ive got a Yaesu 102 that ive got to pick up to do the relays on and ive not picked that up yet :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: and to top all this ive got to pay some dam big bill's out this week which ive had to go through all my paperwork to see if the bill's are right as some think dont add up :lol: :lol: :lol: "I hate paperwork"
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

No rush this end matey..... when it suits you. ;)
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

UGLY_BOB wrote:No rush this end matey..... when it suits you. ;)
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thank's there bob i wish the 102 owner would stop pesting me i tell ya i did say to him i would look at it but in my own time not next day as it's a big old job pulling the relay's out of them and renewing them it's not a 5min job but there you go i will get round to it.

It's all way's the same you plan your week out and it never go's as planed dose it i can see it's going to be one of them week's as an old mate of mine all ways say's I can feel it in me water's :lol: :lol: :lol:
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

Off topic
Anyone still got an eprom programmer and an eraser?
I have a load of 27C32 eproms i could do with erasing and programming.
I have one to use as a master?

I got rid of my eprom kit when i was a bit skint years ago
zephyr
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by zephyr »

What are the Eproms you have, make and numbers?.
The reason I ask is that I have the Batronix BX32P programmer but it doesn't do every manufacturers chip, It'll program 2732 to 27512 but as I said not all types.
I also have a Commodore 64/128 I used for years but just keep it for the 2716 but haven't used that for a few months now.

PS. I also have an eraser.
Last edited by zephyr on 17 May 2011, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Im also after an eprom programmer as my chinese thing has give up on me when i needed the dam thing for doing a few UK40 eprom dam thing "silly thing is i didnt do any uk 40's for backup"
i just burn them off as i needed them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So ive got to buy aother eprom programmer now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

cubwolf wrote:Off topic
Anyone still got an eprom programmer and an eraser?
I have a load of 27C32 eproms i could do with erasing and programming.
I have one to use as a master?

I got rid of my eprom kit when i was a bit skint years ago
Are they for sale cub...........................
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

Bringing up another old thread i know, But i would like to add something to this modification if anyone ever wants to try it.

I wanted to mod one to 10m band with freq ending in zero, So i did the mods as explained by Clint [However i had to leave the original cap in C72] and i used a 16.260 crystal and aligned radio for 27.865 to 28.305, But then i swapped PLL to a UPD2816 and grounded pin 9 [T/R] and it jumped to 28.320 to 28.760, I also unlocked clarifier and it has quite a bit of slide, But i found that 28.500 fell into an alpha slot, So i replaced the 16.260 for a 16.385 i had lying about and it now does 28.450 to 28.890 with 28.500 being on Ch 5

But what i would like too add is i found out an external 10.240 oscillator board isn't really needed, A 10.240 crystal can simply be soldered directly to the RI and RB pins of the PLL [Pins 13 and 14], This makes modding an AR144/146 to Say High band with a 15.810 alot easier [No need to swap PLL if modding for High band]

Just thought i would share this if anyone wanted to mod an AR144/Cobra 146.