home antenna

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
furni
Regular
Regular

home antenna

Post by furni »

Hi everyone very new to this hobby, passed my exam about a month ago bought a yaesu ft 897 and an ldg z11 pro tuner but living in an apartment I am very limited to what antenna I can use. I've been told I can use something I can erect for use but needs to be taken down when not in use. I have a fence post I can use to support some kind of vertical antenna. I was thinking of using a fishing pole but need help on a design and items I need to complete. Thanks in advance
psychobilly

Re: home antenna

Post by psychobilly »

furni wrote:Hi everyone very new to this hobby, passed my exam about a month ago bought a yaesu ft 897 and an ldg z11 pro tuner but living in an apartment I am very limited to what antenna I can use. I've been told I can use something I can erect for use but needs to be taken down when not in use. I have a fence post I can use to support some kind of vertical antenna. I was thinking of using a fishing pole but need help on a design and items I need to complete. Thanks in advance
8mtr telescopic roach pole with a homemade 9/1 balun un un with wire ground planes fitted around your fence hidden should get you 80mtrs to 10mtrs on a atu all the info is on the net :D :D
JamesA
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JamesA »

You could try a mag loop along these lines: http://www.g4ilo.com/wonder-loop.html
Or the unun and fishingpole as above, something like this: http://tinyurl.com/nluj6

Both of these should work well with the 897 and give you the option to go portable as well.
M6JCA -> 2E0JCA

Yaesu FT-897, FT-857D (In car), FT-817D & Wouxun KG-UVD1P
Full wave 40M wire loop for HF, Watson V2000 for 2, 70 & 6
HRD Logbook: http://www.hrdlog.net/ViewLogbook.aspx?user=2E0JCA
Jon_D
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G4FUT

Post by Jon_D »

First Welcome to the hobby. :D
I agree with psychobilly. You can have great fun with a simple antenna. I live in a second floor flat with no permission to erect antennae. I have a 30 feet wire from the window to a nearby wall. It slopes from my window which is 25 feet over ground down to the wall which is 15 feet . The antenna is matched with an ATU.
One absolute possession you must have are ferrite filters. I have these on every wire I can see, to stop RF inductance. I also cheat a lot by using the MFJ Artificial Ground. :D It is fantastic!
Result:-
No TVI;
Lots of QSOs on all bands apart from Top band.
BTW the rigs are ICOM 718 for data (e.g. JT65)
and TS530sp for CW.