Anyone know the value of a Yaesu FT-1000MP?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Anyone know the value of a Yaesu FT-1000MP?

Post by g0slq »

It is the original not the mKV or Field etc. It's a mate of mine at work who has lost most of his voice (long story, but can't use radio) he has offered it to me but as usual when buying from a mate we're not sure of the price! - he's even offered it to me and to have it checked over/aligned etc. and take the cost of service off the total.

There is a slight fault on the 2nd VFO with AM receive - not much to worry about but he is being up front. As we're mates he doesn't want to overcharge me and I don't want to take advantage - so you can see the quandry. He suggested £700 which I think is too low, and he will subtract the cost of any fix. The thing is big and therefore heavy to send away. All this aside, anyone know a good place to send a Yaesu for this? - apart from Yaesu UK of course!
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
108AW027
Call Sign: 108TM119

Re: Anyone know the value of a Yaesu FT-1000MP?

Post by 108AW027 »

Castle are very good at what they do,,
but also expensive at £50 an hour labour (last years rate)

http://www.hamradiosales.co.uk/CASTLE-1A.htm
108 FB 027--108 TM 119
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM742

Post by ScotchEgg »

From what I know (not much) I would think £800-£1000 lately.
The legend of the "Scotch Egg".
"unique in my duplicity"

UGLY BOB on SCOTCH EGG... "I kinda had you pictured as the sort who would enjoy beating the bejesus out of people with a four foot dildo."
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone »

A friend of mine picked one up earlier this year for £750.
It was in good, but not pristine condition. No extra filters or modifications. No box. Original fist mic.
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

I sold my mint, double boxed, all documentation, accessories and one owner from new MP last year for £850, which took a while to sell as it was top dollar, MkV fields can be picked up for £900 - £950
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Thanks - it is or will be double boxed (I've seen it at his home before of course) I think he said it comes with Collins roofing filter(s) - as I say, it is only the am RX on the sub-VFO which is the problem. TBH I'd feel like a right non-mate if I was to send it off and get repaired and subtract £300-£400 from the £700. I'd sooner take it for £700 and live with the fault.

I'd never flog it on so may well take in on trial and see if it is good enough "as is" I might even do a part-ex to at least leave him with something to listen to. So £700 at mates rates is not too bad from the above posts. I've no doubt if it went seriously wrong, he'd see me alright anyway, not that there's any reason to suspect there will ;)
G0SLQ website
Quinny1
Banned
Banned

Post by Quinny1 »

Got to agree on the going rate for repairs Stephen.

I sent my 7800 to Yaesu last year, and they were charging me £40ph to repair it, but as I kicked up a fuss, they sent it back and it seemed as though it had been repaired foc. I did point out at the time that I thought a piece of equipment with the long standing name of Yaesu behind it should last longer than 2 years.

Also remember the cost of shipment to get it to them as well, and return it, which because of the size of it won't be cheap.

Might it not be better to get your mate to have it repaired, and split the difference over that cost on top of what you intend to offer for it? That way you know it will come to you in working condition.

I was also going to suggest it gets serviced while away, but it will probably get that done as part of the repair.
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

I don't know if he still works on equipment in his retirement, but try Harry Leeming, he may even know the problem, his email address appears in PW each month.
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Last time I spoke to Harry he wasn't taking in repairs sadly, but definitely worth a call for info'.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

To be honest mate I personally dont think you are getting a real bargain in paying £700 for what is a faulty radio, would be looking to pay around £700 for a nice clean fully working ft1000mp in any used deal just now so off a mate again feel your not getting a real bargain.

£625would have been a decent price.

the ft1000mp is getting on a bit now and to suggest prices off £800 -£1000 is in my view just not realistic anymore, the smaller ft920 models are now selling from anything from £450 upwards and as I say seeing a lot off ft1000mp models around £700 - £750 obviously depends if its the ac model and if its has any off the nice but pricey cw / ssb filters fitted which I suppose could drive the price upwards to nearer the £800 mark.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Hi again. Thanks for all input. It is all sorted now. The perceived fault wasn't a fault at all! - a reset, a play around and most importantly a read of the manual sorted it out! We're all good now. If anyone has an MP they'll understand. Basically, there was meant to be an AM receive fault on the sub-receiver . - I read in the manual that sub-rx B can be used as dual listen with the main receiver. Meaning you can listen or monitor both at once - indeed via headphones you can hear one in each ear!

Well, the sub band can only hear if in the passband or vicinity of the main band. Not so bad at HF - i.e. listening to say 11m & 10m - but he was trying to listen to Talk Sport on 1071AM whilst listening to, for example, 20m it does not work - especially when sharing the same antenna. If I listen to 5 live on 693khz on main receiver and Talk Sport on 1071khz it works fine. The further away the main receiver gets from the sub-receiver, the weaker it becomes - hence the perceived AM rx fault! - quite funny now, but not as funny as me thinking the whole thing was off frequency until I reset everything, added auto AGC and ensured all shift & notch settings. RTFM is a well known and apt phrase :o

Fortunately it is the AC model and has 1 extra CW filter (i'm not a cw op) - I might now play hardball and see if I can get the Heil Headset with HC4 DX insert thrown in. Either way though, it is in excellent condition, double-boxed and important to me, I know its history and not taking pot luck on Ebay or anywhere else. I'll not buy the FT950 now so this will probably have saved me at least £400 - could buy some over-priced accessories with that...
G0SLQ website
108AW027
Call Sign: 108TM119

Post by 108AW027 »

Glad you got it sussed out,,
best of luck with the radio
108 FB 027--108 TM 119