Think i may have a problem please help

Home of the Tango Mike DX Group - Transmission1's very own CB/11m DX group. All club related chat, QSL Card downloads and membership issues/requests to be posted here.
Retic
Regular
Regular

Think i may have a problem please help

Post by Retic »

ok so i got my radio and antenna set up in the car the swr seems to be fine, the radio is a superstar 3900 i decided to test it by going on to 27.555 and tuning my scanner to the same frequency my scanner was inside and i was out side in the car the only thing that the person inside could hear was a kinda wineing sound, is there a better way i could test this befor i go out and about, i just got this radio from ebay and now im unsure if it works also the neddle dosnt move when i transmite on usb only seems to move on fm, im confused as to what to do could i have got a duff radio?
seasquirt

Re: Think i may have a problem please help

Post by seasquirt »

Retic wrote:ok so i got my radio and antenna set up in the car the swr seems to be fine, the radio is a superstar 3900 i decided to test it by going on to 27.555 and tuning my scanner to the same frequency my scanner was inside and i was out side in the car the only thing that the person inside could hear was a kinda wineing sound, is there a better way i could test this befor i go out and about, i just got this radio from ebay and now im unsure if it works also the neddle dosnt move when i transmite on usb only seems to move on fm, im confused as to what to do could i have got a duff radio?
i can only help you on the needle not moving as i am new to this hobby myself, key your mic and whistle or speak into it, you will find the S meter (needle) will move, if not you may have a problem.
Yamanx
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB001

Post by Yamanx »

Hi, all may not be lost :)

The whinning, could be feedback, or too much recieve RF soooo close.

Also your needle wont move on SSB unless you talk into it :)

You see with FM, for instance, when you transmit you get a carrier radio wave (which is fairly constant) which is effectively your output. But with single side band (LSB=Lower Side Band, USB = Upper Side Band) its different. Your voice is, effectively, the carrier and there is no output except your modulation (Your speaking).

1/ Make sure your set up, radio and aerial, is checked for SWR, see other threads here for how to do this, but this needs to be done using FM/AM with an SWR meter.

2/ Make sure your reciever is well out of ear shot and a good distance away from your tranmitter, on the same frequency and mode (FM, USB, LSB etc.)

3/ Test :) You may need to fine tune your recieve frequency, sometimes called a clarifier, so you dont sound like pinky and perky or the big bad wolf :)

Sorry if I'm not to clear, but I'm sure any questions can be answered better by others :)
By all means think yourself big, but never think others small.... R.F.Scott

FBDX
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

Does your scanner have USB? if you were trying to listen on FM but transmitting using USB that might explain the problem..
2E0XGA
Retic
Regular
Regular

Post by Retic »

hi all thank you for the replys!!
Ok so the needle is just lazy a little tap and it springs into life (wish id thought of that earlyer, now i feel a tad silly lol), I got some good disstance on fm, but nothing yet on usb.
So panic over many thanks again

73's