Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Strawberry
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: B1N

Re: Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

Post by Strawberry »

Transwarp wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 19:38 Maybe l'm being cynical but bet they'll be some more bellyaching in the hobby about foundations being granted more privileges.

The world will still keep turning though.
Too true, let the whingers bellyache, just squelch them out.

To put things into perspective though like my old mate Steve used to say, '100 Watts is almost precisely exactly the amount of power consumed by a 100 Watt lightbulb and also if you consider most kettles are 2.5kW you would be waiting a long time for your cup of tea if you had 1kW kettle'. :D :D
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Re: Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

Post by 26mb04 »

I don't know if you can run a repeater without paperwork, but you *can* set up a remote link:

Assuming a Foundation licence, you can set up a remote link with an ERP of 500mW. It's basically a repeater, but it's for your use only. You must ensure nobody else can easily access it, so ideally use CTCSS. (You CANNOT use encryption for this.) 500mW will go for miles if you get the antenna high enough. To get the ERP low enough using something like a Wuoxun quad bander, you can run through a power reducer or some kind of attenuator.

The info is all there in the licence document. I managed to understand it, so it isn't complicated.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF