current standards of the foundation licencee..

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
NoiseBoy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: current standards of the foundation licencee..

Post by NoiseBoy »

I don't actually see the licencing structure as being at fault at all, in my opinion it is what happens after the exam that is the issue. I am generalising here and i know that there are many exceptions. In a lot of cases local radio clubs are predominantly run by older members that are probably unable or unwilling to relate to younger members or to understand what it is that attracts them to radio. You all know me as a 5&9 operator but i'm 24 and know plenty of young operators and the main interest we universally share is the thrill of contacting foreign countries and entering obbjective competition, be it contests or awards like DXCC. Radio has no use for someone my age as a communication tool because if i want to speak to a friend I have Skype or inclusive minutes on my mobile.

When Jonny New-Radio turns up to a club he must have an interest in radio (CB'er, jammer or whatever) or he wouldn't bother spending the time and money getting a licence. When he gets his ticket he is faced with a group of OAP's that chat away of an evening on the local repeater or 80m net about their latest hospital appointment. Jonny is bored to tears and ends up jamming or messing about to get a laugh. If on the other hand he got his ticket and was invited along to a field day the next weekend where he sits in front of an HF rig and works 100 different countries and has a barbecue etc. etc. with like minded people he is far more likely to make a positive contribution to the ham community. I know for a fact that if it wasn't for a couple of members that took me aside and introduced me to DXing that i would not be on air now.

There are plenty of clubs that do positively encourage new licensees both young and old, CUWS comes to mind as one where they have regular meetings, field days and dxpeditions, but there are also far too many that send them home with a Baofeng and an invite to the evening net. Perhaps there needs to be a group within the RSGB or independently that deals specifically with young and new hams. There was a letter from a 14yo in the last Radcom suggesting a young persons net so i will drop him an email and try to do something about it instead of whinging on a forum. lol.

Sorry for the rant but im always being asked how to encourage young people into the hobby but it seems to fall on deaf ears.
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

and try to do something about it instead of whinging on a forum
Followed by an apology for whinging :lol:
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
jonajuna
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: jon

Post by jonajuna »

northern35s wrote:
jonajuna wrote:wondering if i should even bother the 100 mile round trip every Thursday for the next 7 weeks to get my foundation?
If a bit of forum banter puts you off the hobby, then I wouldn't bother if I was you either!
lol, it wont because i've been online since the days of 14k dial up and an email address that were anything you like as long as it was [email protected]

my point was, if i wasn't so long in the tooth with the twaddle to be found on t'interweb forums and was a newly interested "ham to be", the comments by some of the elmers here would make me think, "should i even bother..."

if the hobby wants new blood, it must:
1) attract them
2) lead by example
3) be tolerant of learners

much of the content here serves the opposite of those needs

Jon, proud to be almost a M3/M6
jonajuna
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: jon

Post by jonajuna »

NoiseBoy wrote:I don't actually see the licencing structure as being at fault at all, in my opinion it is what happens after the exam that is the issue. I am generalising here and i know that there are many exceptions. In a lot of cases local radio clubs are predominantly run by older members that are probably unable or unwilling to relate to younger members or to understand what it is that attracts them to radio. You all know me as a 5&9 operator but i'm 24 and know plenty of young operators and the main interest we universally share is the thrill of contacting foreign countries and entering obbjective competition, be it contests or awards like DXCC. Radio has no use for someone my age as a communication tool because if i want to speak to a friend I have Skype or inclusive minutes on my mobile.

When Jonny New-Radio turns up to a club he must have an interest in radio (CB'er, jammer or whatever) or he wouldn't bother spending the time and money getting a licence. When he gets his ticket he is faced with a group of OAP's that chat away of an evening on the local repeater or 80m net about their latest hospital appointment. Jonny is bored to tears and ends up jamming or messing about to get a laugh. If on the other hand he got his ticket and was invited along to a field day the next weekend where he sits in front of an HF rig and works 100 different countries and has a barbecue etc. etc. with like minded people he is far more likely to make a positive contribution to the ham community. I know for a fact that if it wasn't for a couple of members that took me aside and introduced me to DXing that i would not be on air now.

There are plenty of clubs that do positively encourage new licensees both young and old, CUWS comes to mind as one where they have regular meetings, field days and dxpeditions, but there are also far too many that send them home with a Baofeng and an invite to the evening net. Perhaps there needs to be a group within the RSGB or independently that deals specifically with young and new hams. There was a letter from a 14yo in the last Radcom suggesting a young persons net so i will drop him an email and try to do something about it instead of whinging on a forum. lol.

Sorry for the rant but im always being asked how to encourage young people into the hobby but it seems to fall on deaf ears.
"........out of the mouth of babes"

:)
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

Jon, there's a whole history lesson to be had behind some of the comments in this thread, and accessing the web via my iPhone from a hotel in Turkey it's neither the time or the place to wax lyrical. Some people make valid points, some people whinge and moan, some are downright obnoxious, but as I said before the Internet isn't real life, the radio club, your circle of friends, your on air experience, that's real life, all that can be expected of any newcomer to the hobby is play by the rules and contribute to the hobby, that can be as little as being a good example to others, or passing on your knowledge, we all have something to contribute ;)
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
MilkyBar
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MilkyBar »

My local club CARA (Cheltenham), have two young members on the committee now. One does the monthly Newsletter, and the other, the website. There are still some 'old hands' on the committee, but least the 'newly licensed' are being listened to now.

I though the comment anbout hostpital appointments was quite funny. I have my fair share and I am 46, not 86
:o
Gone QRT!!!
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

Dagnabbit wrote:
Seriously..?... they have to bleep out the tit in the middle of attitude? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Swine of a forum for anyone from Scunthorpe.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
NoiseBoy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by NoiseBoy »

northern35s wrote:
and try to do something about it instead of whinging on a forum
Followed by an apology for whinging :lol:
Ah yes but i did say i am doing something proactive and not JUST whinging!
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Yeti wrote:
Dagnabbit wrote:
Seriously..?... they have to bleep out the tit in the middle of attitude? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Swine of a forum for anyone from Scunthorpe.
God we've all heard the jokes, even some knober rap artist sang about our town.....well I work in Scunthorpe anyway :lol: :lol:
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Base Jumper wrote: 03 Sep 2012, 19:52 Its a shame that most jump on the M6/M3 bandwagon. you only have to listen to G7ERX and G1DRA to relise that the rot was set many many years ago ! {bnghd}
Ofcom need to tighten things up, If it means that amateurs need to put there hands in there pockets and pay yearly for there licence then that can only be a good thing in my opinion, if it gets rid of the twats.
At least one of those is at it again. About two years ago he was on GB3VA, giving out grief to people, then disappeared when someone knew who he was and called him out on air.

Now he's back, on GB3TU with another person, giving people grief.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Spooky
Regular
Regular

Post by Spooky »

Being a new CB user and always having been interested in Ham radio - reading through the thread is quite harrowing.
It's sad that some "Bonkers" CB users get the rest a bad name and after reading here it seems a similar thing happens on the Amateur bands too.
I just started reading the foundation license handbook - very kindly given to me by another CB user who recently passed the Foundation license. The CB folk I've spoken to around my way have all been very encouraging with regards to passing the foundation exam and exploring radio a bit more.

I certainly plan to stick to the law regarding the correct equipment/output, protocols and band restrictions, that's part of it as far as I'm concerned.
No plans on dumping CB, I think there is space for both.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

@Spooky
The good outnumber the poor and bad operators by a lot so you should go for your licence and enjoy operating and learning more about radio. CB is what it is and it has it's own place and supporters, again it's all radio :thumbup:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

G1DRA - Patrick was at it again yesterday and today on GB3TU, gobbing off at M3s etc. He's a bit silly, there's people monitoring the input frequency......
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling