The dreaded noise

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

The dreaded noise

Post by NightProwler »

I have always been lucky with QRM but today things have changed. Radio was fine about 1PM but just switched it on and I have noise right through the HF band. 9+ of it everywhere. So thats killed my radio hobby. It's not coming from my house I know that as nothing new in the last few hours has been plugged in but I do have new neighbours next door but one. Im really really annoyed about this. Any advice before I start knocking doors with my steel toe capped boots :evil:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Buick Mackane

Re: The dreaded noise

Post by Buick Mackane »

Welcome to the QRM Club rich :thumbup:

Before you go strangling your neighbour make sure its not something in your house that has turned faulty and is chucking out RF, Turn off your mains supply and power your radio from a battery and see if the noise persists
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Well I think I might of found it. My elderly neighbour next door was telling me this morning he is having problems with his car and he is going to fully charge the battery today, I just went outside and on his driveway I can see a battery charger under his bonnet flashing away. Im praying thats what is doing it because it should be switched off tomorrow. We shall see.
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

I'm amazed at the amount of interference charging my vape causes.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

It can be anything.
I had Lidl led kitchen lamp producing s9+ RFI in 150m radius.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Sorted. He turned his car battery charger off and the noise vanished. Tbat was a close one.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

NightProwler wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 10:11 Sorted. He turned his car battery charger off and the noise vanished. Tbat was a close one.
My Virgin Media box once went crazy. All the channels were scrambled. No pictures. No sound. Nothing. I phoned them up carrying on down the phone. They did checks and even at their end they said there was a fault and sent out a new TV box.

Later, when I switched off the car battery charger (which was outside under the bonnet) the problem miraculously went away. The wall socket the charger was plugged into is directly behind the one in the living room where the TV and Virgin Media box were plugged in. So I thought I'd try them on a different socket. Hey presto! No more interference when using the battery charger!

Strangely I never had this issue until I had a new boiler and thermostat fitted. The new thermostat is directly above the wall socket I had the battery charger plugged into and taking its power feed from it albeit hardwired internally. Then again so was the old thermostat and there were never any issues then.

But it just goes to show. The cheap Chinese rubbish is everywhere (even in premium packages) and causing more problems than it's worth.

At least I got a free upgrade on my Virgin Media box! :lol:
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

I'm imagining these tp-link mains wi fi extenders causing havoc.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

I have a little motor bike battery charger that does the same . No issues with my WiFi extender
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

The only thing to do if you get noise on cb radio and its making it impossible to use is to move to pmr446 where you won't get any noise.Most people that are on cb are also on pmr446.
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

LondonCbRadio wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 12:04 The only thing to do if you get noise on cb radio and its making it impossible to use is to move to pmr446 where you won't get any noise.Most people that are on cb are also on pmr446.

Or zello :lol:
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

PMR? The only people around me that use PMR are the chavs working in the local wetherspoons.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

NightProwler wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 13:03 PMR? The only people around me that use PMR are the chavs working in the local wetherspoons.
Aren't you tempted to entertain yourself with said chavs? A few amusing noises here and there :twisted:
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

astradyne wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 08:34
NightProwler wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 13:03 PMR? The only people around me that use PMR are the chavs working in the local wetherspoons.
Aren't you tempted to entertain yourself with said chavs? A few amusing noises here and there :twisted:
I might go in an order a meal (The microwave they have works very hard) then spend an hour winding them up :D :thumbup: