open dipole V gamma match dipole

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

open dipole V gamma match dipole

Post by 109 Jim »

i am stumped , i had a 2 el open fed yagi and it worked great but it started to droop down a bit so i replaced it with a gamma matched dipole from a 3 el yagi using the same reflector , SWR is fine ( i know low SWR doesnt say the antenna is always working properly ) but its garbage.
I took the reflector off incase it was that but TBH the dipole is still crap ie my mate a few miles away on a vertical was getting Australia on a s7 and another mate driving along the road was getting him a s5 , he was hardly a s1 here.

My mate a few miles away has a really bad path into asia and pacific and has a 4el but my old 2 el was getting things better but now its the other way , can a gamma matched dipole show a low SWR but be faulty ???? cheers Jim
LondonCbRadio

Re: open dipole V gamma match dipole

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Are the elements electrically connected to the boom ?
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

yes , its a dipole that came from a sirio 3el , yesterday i made my old 2 el open feed yagi , i am going to put that back up
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Post by Black_Pirate »

how high was it...!
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX