President Lincoln ii+ V3 burnt finals

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
oopsydaisy
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: RedStar926

President Lincoln ii+ V3 burnt finals

Post by oopsydaisy »

Hi Everyone,
I hope you will be able to help me, and thank you for any help at all in advance. I have some electrical background from my AE days in the Navy, but I have none with these radios. My Prez initially gave me a warning of high SWR a couple of times as it cut in and out, but I was trying to communicate one last transmission. Well shame on me because it died. I found the main fuse from the power supply, which was a 15A burnt. When I opened the radio up, I can see that some white paste ran out from behind the mosfet transistors, I'm assuming they got very hot. The radio won't power up at all. My question is : Besides replacing the transistors which I am planning to do, is there another component that is typical to being burnt that I can replace, I am guessing that its a diode maybe??? I wish, I wish, I wish there were an internal fuse, but I didn't see one. :roll:
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: President Lincoln ii+ V3 burnt finals

Post by cb4ever104 »

So the mosfets have shorted by the sounds of it . You say "I found the main fuse from the power supply" . I presume you're talking about an internal PSU fuse on the front or back . Or are you talking about the in-line fuse in the power lead ?

Anyway . You'll need to remove those mosfets to start with before switching it back on , and then check the rest of the radio for any other shorts .
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

cb4ever104 wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 13:42 So the mosfets have shorted by the sounds of it . You say "I found the main fuse from the power supply" . I presume you're talking about an internal PSU fuse on the front or back . Or are you talking about the in-line fuse in the power lead ?

Anyway . You'll need to remove those mosfets to start with before switching it back on , and then check the rest of the radio for any other shorts .
I agree with Sammy.

Shorted Mosfets will cause the inline fuse to blow. Remove them and the radio should power on.

15A fuse? If you're referring to the inline fuse that's a bit on the high side for a Lincoln 2. I'd replace it with a lower value.

Check for any damaged tracks around and leading up to the driver/finals.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

New single post user; last login 4 days ago. Neither of the above posts have been seen. He's probably found a solution.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
oopsydaisy
Regular
Regular

Post by oopsydaisy »

Hello and thank you for the replies. I replaced the finals with the same part number mosfets, and the radio would not power on, and then I replaced the reverse polarity diode and the radio comes on. I finally did a radio check tonight, I can hear just fine but I cannot transmit. I hear talkback, but I am not getting out. Thanks again for the advice.
oopsydaisy
Regular
Regular

Post by oopsydaisy »

Oh and also, the 15a fuse was the inline fuse on the power supply, yes I will replace it with the right size fuse now that I am learning this lesson!
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

damn you Anytones and the sellers/users running them at full boar..!!!
13N10 either blow open quite literally or they go dead short..
you could be lucky and it's only two in the final stage, or really unlucky and it's all four,

i'm currently sitting listening to channel 19 where everyone seems to be buying these Anytones and think they can run 40w all day, one guys already blown two KL-203's another guy is telling people how to set up their radio and linears using current draw from their PSU.

13N10's a cheap, braincells seem to be hard to come by.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
oopsydaisy
Regular
Regular

Post by oopsydaisy »

Well I mist be really unlucky I think more than the two finals are bad. I guess I'll keep looking for the fix.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Or just send it to someone who repairs radios.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Arcangelny
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: KAAN9182

Post by Arcangelny »

Can someone tell which diode(s) and the value(s) to replace on the Lincoln II+ V3 if the power leads were reversed?
oopsydaisy
Regular
Regular

Post by oopsydaisy »

Well here I am 3 years later working on the same radio where I left off, now I have a friend helping me. It seems like there was another mosfet upstream of the finals that I had seen somewhere on a video 2 years ago that I cannot find now. I’m trying to remember if you can help me, to identify the next part to replace. The radio powers up and receives but Will not transmit. Mainly I’m just dropping back in to re-awaken this thread in hopes that when we do fix her, I can share the info. Had to reset my password and log back in!
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Edd200sx »

oopsydaisy wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 01:54 Well here I am 3 years later working on the same radio where I left off, now I have a friend helping me. It seems like there was another mosfet upstream of the finals that I had seen somewhere on a video 2 years ago that I cannot find now. I’m trying to remember if you can help me, to identify the next part to replace. The radio powers up and receives but Will not transmit. Mainly I’m just dropping back in to re-awaken this thread in hopes that when we do fix her, I can share the info. Had to reset my password and log back in!
Nobody can guess what’s been damaged sadly without the radio
In front of them. If you have limited knowledge and practical skills
Then you’d be best to send it for a professional repair
DELETE MY ACCOUNT
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

oopsydaisy wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 01:54 Well here I am 3 years later working on the same radio where I left off, now I have a friend helping me. It seems like there was another mosfet upstream of the finals that I had seen somewhere on a video 2 years ago that I cannot find now. I’m trying to remember if you can help me, to identify the next part to replace. The radio powers up and receives but Will not transmit. Mainly I’m just dropping back in to re-awaken this thread in hopes that when we do fix her, I can share the info. Had to reset my password and log back in!
Have you checked the voltage regulator to the outputs? There's the possibility that it's done for so there'll be no juice getting to the PA stage.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...