Kenwood TS440S

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Kenwood TS440S

Post by NightProwler »

Hi all,

I have a TS440S which I have owned for about 8 months, Made many contacts on it and it always gets glowing reports with it's Kenwood MC-60 mic. Anyway turned it on today and on 27.500ish on dead key FM and the meter set to ALC the meter needle takes a few seconds to rise up, Same on SSB but go down to 26.500ish and it keys up normal. Checked the output power and it hasnt dropped, The SWR is almost flat across 11M. I cant work out why all of a sudden it keys up weird when the switch is on ALC because it never did that before. Any ideas dudes?

Cheers...Rich :crazy:

P.S...Didnt put this in the ham section because I dont want hardcore hams giving me hasstle for using a Kenwood on 11M :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Phuture

Re: Kenwood TS440S

Post by Phuture »

Do you know if your TS440S's VCO1 and VCO5 have been affected by the Sony Bond hygroscopic glue? Some later manufactured TS440Ss had non-problematic glue used in them, so not all TS440Ss need attention. Although the problem you're describing may not be caused by the glue issue, I think I would want to rule it out as a cause as it causes a number of strange symptoms as the glue becomes increasingly conductive over time.