Why not side by side dipole arms?

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
beltane
Regular
Regular

Why not side by side dipole arms?

Post by beltane »

I've spent far too much time looking at antenna theory and diagrams and I'm none the wiser, and anyway to be fair very little of what's "on paper" actually acts like it's predicted to in reality, but here's what I'm wondering.

Why couldn't the two arms of a dipole be parallel to one another, like a number 11? As far as I can make out if the two arms were end fed with each half of the feed line (for instance at the bottom of the 11) then they should radiate alternatively, which shouldn't be any problem.

I've seen far too many permutations of dipole shenanigans but nothing much like a number 11.

I saw an illustration of a crossed dipole and it looks like an idiotic design that's only redeeming value is it's both vertically and horizontally polarized at the same time, so the radiation pattern would probably be more like a sphere than a doughnut but probably with only half the rf potential.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Why not side by side dipole arms?

Post by ch25 »

No, it can't.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Google ''Fan dipoles''
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Fan dipole is not parallel :)
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

ch25 wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 20:57 Fan dipole is not parallel :)
Mine is :)
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

The way @beltane want it to use?
par.jpg
Tell us more :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

ch25 wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 21:26 The way @beltane want it to use?

par.jpg

I just re-read his post and see your point :)
beltane
Regular
Regular

Post by beltane »

par.jpg

Yes. exactly that. Why would it not work? There's all kinds of weird dipole designs, like V and unequals etc. I just can't get my head round why this design wouldn't also do SOMETHING, even if the distance between the arms had to be ten feet apart or something. Too much theory to digest and no real answers WHY some things are just verboten.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

It will work. Very poorly, but it will. You must use a balun, since impedance is sky high efficiency will be very low, but still sh1tty antenna is better than no antenna.
Spacing for simulation sake is 50 cm, 20m band.
vvv.jpg
vvv1.jpg
vvv3vv.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Beacause the RF in each leg would cancel each other out leading to very little radiated signal on the chosen frequency.
Plus the impedence at the feed point would be high 2000 plus Ohms
Take a look at Ladderline feeder. You could use a balun at the feed point to match to 50 Ohms but you would still get the cancelling effect of the RF signal.
What you could do is add a halfwave length onto ONE leg so it is then 3/4 wave and then join the orignial at the feed point together. then connect your 50 OHM coax further up the two parrellel legs to find the 50 Ohm match point.
Its called a Zep or a J-Pole :thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
justron
Regular
Regular

Post by justron »

par.jpg

That looks like twin (balanced line) feeder. Which of course is a low loss feeder. So the potential results could be RF radiation, that is at best, poor. Unless the far end of the counterpoise & radiator are connected, then it becomes an end fed Marconi antenna.

However separate the two wires & stop feeding the counterpoise & then the counterpoise becomes a director. Thus a two element beam, pointing skyward. or in a desired direction.

I believe it is in the Admiralty Handbook of radiotelegraphy. The book suggests adding a third unconnected wire close to ships HF Marconi antenna to improve radiation. So the concept of two or more wires heading in the same direction & close to each other, is workable, but it does need some thought.

Distance between the radiator & counterpoise could also be a key to success. For example a inverted L antenna with a fan of counterpoises at ground level are in effect this design. But the radiation largely takes place from the highest point of the antenna, even if that is parallel to, or close to, parallel with one or more counterpoises fed from the same point, but distant from it.
beltane
Regular
Regular

Post by beltane »

ch25 wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 23:52 It will work. Very poorly, but it will. You must use a balun, since impedance is sky high efficiency will be very low, but still sh1tty antenna is better than no antenna.
Spacing for simulation sake is 50 cm, 20m band.
vvv.jpg
vvv1.jpg
vvv3vv.jpg
That makes sense.
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

beltane wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 20:23 .. but here's what I'm wondering.

Why couldn't the two arms of a dipole be parallel to one another, like a number 11? As far as I can make out if the two arms were end fed with each half of the feed line (for instance at the bottom of the 11) then they should radiate alternatively, which shouldn't be any problem.

I've seen far too many permutations of dipole shenanigans but nothing much like a number 11.
Could this be what you're thinking of? https://www.hamuniverse.com/slingshot.html
The perfect face for radio.