CB simplex repeater

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Re: CB simplex repeater

Post by Black_Pirate »

Frn is used for an internet link repeater and echo link too...if you Google them...
The frn link page has some good info...a while back there were a few going..
One on fm on the south coast....don't know if it still running....
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
hectic
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 56FB547

Post by hectic »

The 5555 and 6666 anytones would be usable for repeaters, if one programs separate TX and RX frequencies.
A fast fingered fellow could do the CH1-CH40 switching with a normal rig with a drum. But adding CTCSS to normal CB's would require mods.
If hams do 10m FM repeaters with 100kHz split, then the 440kHz split between CH1 (26.965MHz) and CH40 (27.405MHz) should be more than doable.
The receiving rig can also be modded as much as needed due to it not transmitting.
For example old CH1 transmit crystals from AM handhelds could be used to build a crystal filter for the receiver input. Vertical separation of the antennas also brings some extra isolation. with a 440kHz split even a TIGHT high-Q lowpass filter could help, as the transmitter would be caught in the filter skirt.

Some rainy day might result in a prototype being built. It is not like I don't have a bunch of junk cb's around waiting inspiration.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

In the theoretical world, yes, no problems.

In the real world, a stupid idea.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
hectic
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 56FB547

Post by hectic »

Admiral wrote:In the theoretical world, yes, no problems.

In the real world, a stupid idea.
Yeah. Stupid on many levels and for many reasons. Still a funny thing to think about.
bigal68
Call Sign: 26fb806

Post by bigal68 »

It is probably a stupid idea.

Lets face it.... why would you want to do thatthat......what would you achieve???

People probably said the same thing to Edmund Hilary in 1952 and NASA in the mid 60's.......
Alan 26FB806
----------------------
27.385 LSB, 27.555 USB, 27.78125 FM

Use it or lose it!!!!
scott

Post by scott »

Hi just to let you all know i hered and worked a parrot repeater in Sweden ch 20 27.205 fm on saterday the 27th of june .i could here it ident and give a k in Morse to tx back after hereing repeat my call .so there are more than one out there ,but this was 5 and 9 to me 10 miles s,se of Glasgow de scott
rpcomms

Post by rpcomms »

Old thread I know
But a lot of nonsense answers reading through this thread ,lot of guess work rather than actual practical.

Can it be done- Yes

Do CB rig have split ctcss tones and split tx-Yes they do now Albrecht AE6290E
Harrison II ,Randy 3,SS690+/7900 turbo

Does ctcss get overwhelmed by skip-No
Can you do simplex frequency and semi duplex without split tx -Yes I have tried it using sit ctcss tones on single frequency to get semi duplex.
Or can implement tx shift on base with single tone ctcss ,mobiles HTS reverse shift tx

Trick to not to dx but line if site involves correct antenna with ground radial and mast height 55-65ft min off ground.
Double shield coax helps reduce a lot of noise induced into cable from external sources.

A fully isolated radio interface is required to interface pc to radio and Simplex DX software.

Or using a dedicated hardware based parrot box.

I've built a few testers on CB and 446 and they work fine

Ctcss is vital part of system especially on CB band in S-NFM mode to avoid problems.

Control?-easy send dtmf tones to shut it down ,very simple .

CB VoIP gateways are now using ctcss ,split tx in a lot of EU states now .

Anything new always get laughed at first
But then it human nature,easy to down play or negative something new than actually trying to do it yourself.

I always see things as a challenge.
CB has to move on into new things otherwise it will be stuck in past and never progress on new products!

Don't give up so quickly guys 👍

Parrot box
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/prod ... ucts_id=98

Albrecht CB 6290
Tab down RJ45 plug on radio
From cable going into RJ45 8P
on radio

AE6290 pin outs left to right

Pin 1-AF RX Out (fixed level audio regardless of volume control/ctcss controlled mute)
Pin 2- PTT
Pin 3-Mic In (switch radio to dynamic)
Pin 4-Ground
Pin 5-N/C
Pin 6-N/C
Pin 7-Ground
Pin 8-8V DC out

Wire a RJ 45 to RJ45 to argent parrot box
There is no cos busy on AE6290 so vox rx used.

Programme radio split ctcss or split tx on base
Reverse tones/splits on mobiles/HT like Randy 3

Job done ..

For more advanced repeaters software like Simplex DX is the way to go but that then increases hardware power management and battery backup systems etc .

Have fun !

Regards

Rob P
RPC
Last edited by rpcomms on 29 Dec 2022, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

You could use a local sdr stream as a input.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

If you have the following its basic.

2 sites hi up at least a half mile apart. one has rx and the tx. The rx site uses cos and re transmits the signal to the tx site via a link either radio or internet can be used. If anyone needs any help setting up message me. Cos is easy to tap in cb radios. You could trial run it with a few trusted friends and see how it goes. The Eu band would be best as the dopes are scared to come off the muppets and the 19. Better still if therte is someone local up hi running a sdr you could use that as your input but you would only get vox which isnt really good for repeaters but would work great for a ssb repeater.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I could never get the COS signal from inside a CB, although it should be easy enough to tap if you know where to look (I don't...). If you have access to something like an FT-817 you can use the data terminal on the back to give you COS without having to do any surgery on the rig. I did something similar when I set up the Zello link, but with an Icom. Take note, though, that on many radios the COS polarity can be different between manufacturers. I think on Yaesu it's +V open, and Icom (at least, the 706) it's +V when closed. It could be the other way around, I haven't messed around with it for a while.

The EU band idea is a good one, because the Wuoxun quad banders will tune the EU CB band but not the UK block. This means that, *in theory*, you could cross-band repeat from 446/CB in one box. Obviously you'd need to find a way of reducing the ERP quite substantially in this case. I suppose either a power reducer (Zetagi made these) or a DIY attenuator solution should be fairly straightforward as the incoming power will only be about 5W.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Would it not be simpler to link two local sites via the net? removes the need for filtering if they're a distance apart, one on ch 40 receiving and squirting down an IP link to a transmitter nearby but far enough away to prevent desense. It takes the incoming audio and transmits it? evrybody listens on 40, tx on 1, and without tones, they just turn one click to switch between the two?