Brexit and CB sales/purchases

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Brexit and CB sales/purchases

Post by cb4ever104 »

Hi All .

Just thought I'd post on this . The UK used to be my main Ebay sales destination . Since Brexit that's more or less disappeared . The import taxes just don't make it worth the while now for UK buyers . I've almost stopped buying stuff myself now from the UK . Apart from Brexit , the Spanish Post Office made some customs changes here last year . There used to be a customs waver for non EU items up to €22 . That's now been scrapped . So , even if I buy a €1 item from China , there's a good chance that I'll get hit for a €6 customs bill when it arrives .

I presume you guys in the UK have stopped buying stuff from the EU ?

S.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Brexit and CB sales/purchases

Post by Stronty »

I completely stopped, I bought more items radio related and other interests from E.U. than I did from the UK in general over the years.

I imagine we will now just have the same President Richard's changing hands in the UK as an example :D :D :D
We also wont get the opportunities to buy up new old stock Hy Gain Penetrators when some bloke in the Netherlands finds a container full :cry: :cry:

But but! Immigration......

But but! foreign accented Bureaucrats........

What a waste of everyone's time and money who can least afford it.

{bnghd} {bnghd} {bnghd} {bnghd} {bnghd} {bnghd} {bnghd}
Can't help but love an Adams.

friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

Some car brands are worth having, but if enough of it is made in the UK, the taxes are avoided. This is why battery plants are popping up in the UK. Cars will come over without them.

Near or far, like you, we have no lower customs threshold now. The senders of goods below about 130 euros must pay it all. While over that amount, the goods are caught here and the buyer billed. It's a bit annoying buying cheap items from Ali. I used to buy in small batches to avoid taxes. Now I click buy, and see the price increase at checkout.

I got an item from Germany where they put the tax on, then the postage took it over, so the UK would put the tax on also. Thankfully I saw this happening before they dispatched it.

If I actually wanted something from Europe (and I can't think what) I can get duty free shopping in both directions. This alone will fly me to Spain and back, with a couple of nights accommodation. Just saving £100 on a sleeve of bensons in each direction. There has never been a better reason to start smoking again.
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

I find the posting costs from France alot higher now as I believe Mondial global doesn't want to send on to the UK anymore.
And then there's Vat too and to be honest prices have went up alot now.
If I see anything that I think is affordable I would probably still buy.
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

Family friends in France found that overnight, the UK vanished from the destinations list on the post office computer. It's self serve, and they looked at many things we might of been renamed as, before finding us. The local restaurant indicated they should sit outside. They had been there over 20 years.

The French are the first to complain and strike, and are historically the enemy. Things may look better now diplomatically, but that is just business. Look at the EU, they were one of the big three, but took more than they gave. Working farming subsidies hard. Soon after we dropped them, we were having to send gun boats to our islands.

I'm not desperate enough for anything to give them my money.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I can't recall the last time I bought anything from the EU. Maybe a car part 8 years ago or something, but I think that was it and it was way before Brexit anyway.

I bought my Cobra 148 GTL-DX Mk3 from the US and that cost about £60 on top of the radio in postage and taxes, so if that's the way the EU has gone, then forget it.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I made quite a few quid before Brexit buying radios from ebay France and selling them in the UK.

It isn't worthwhile now, as the exchange rate is crap, you have to pay VAT and most sellers won't ship.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Radios below I personally may have had a flutter with in the past! Now they're out of reach because the UK decided to leave a customs union and all that went with it! either no posting option to UK or if there is its easily the cost with import charges of a half decent rig on its own.

The French did nothing to change the UK's relationship with the EU & neither did the other 26 countries still in it. UK left, failed to think of even the obvious important aspects, didn't negotiate in terms of the medium or long term at all. Effectively the remaining EU countries had no choice due to lack of diligence by the UK government to change the UK to be the equivalent of e.g. Morocco as to how the UK was to the EU.

Imagine the cost to the EU because we decided we didn't want to be in the club anymore! staggering amounts logistics /systems having to change across a trading block of 27 countries to satisfy our decision to leave. But you know what, there were 27 counties to spread that cost over which is a lot easier than 1.

All in all the UK were sold a pup imo by a bunch of hedge funders in government (or related to) who profited greatly and made sure they had their Irish ancestry (Eire or N.I) or other EU country residency/naturalisation sorted so they would avoid the sh!t show or were to thick to see what was coming down the track.

Funny position in the UK, large part of the UK has never traditionally seen France as an enemy, in fact quite the opposite. Further to that, that the French people still have enough gumption to get up of their sofa's en masse and take their government to task when a policy stinks no matter the governing party, personally I salute them.

Radios I might if I could but I can't. {bnghd} {bnghd}

Early Superstar 360 (no FM) - Spain

Early 4 button Grant no FM - Germany

Unusual Tiawan Connex needing some love - Italy

Marmite Realistic TRC-419 - Italy

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lambrettadave wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 15:04 I believe Mondial global doesn't want to send on to the UK anymore.
I used to have an option of about a dozen couriers before Brexit . Now there's only a couple that do it , and it's a lot more expensive . Most of my radio sales go to the US or Australia now .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Stronty wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 20:47

I've bought stuff from this guy before . Unfortunately he seems to have lost the plot now .

Here's an example .

https://www.ebay.es/itm/165298192946

:roll:
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

Stronty wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 20:47 Funny position in the UK, large part of the UK has never traditionally seen France as an enemy, in fact quite the opposite.
Do you mean Ireland. The enemy of my enemy stuff?

We have wars with whoever is closest. Most wars are with the neighbours.

500 years ago we had a 100 year war, and in the next 125 years spent 60 years at war. There have been dozens of wars between England and france in the last 1000 years. It's only the last 200 that have been quiet. With just a bit of gun pointing in the last year or so. Threats to cut off our electricity if we don't hand over some islands they want. Typical of their non compliant nature.

I don't feel I can't buy from Europe anymore. I just don't get to do so tax free. As I don't from China or the USA. It may look bad that the no tax threshold has gone. Often blamed on Brexit. However the OP is in Spain, seeing the same thing, and they didn't exit.

I can fly off on a european city break for free now that customs is in place. Just buying my quota, covers flights and accommodation. I'm not complaining at all.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

cb4ever104 wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 08:18
Stronty wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 20:47

I've bought stuff from this guy before . Unfortunately he seems to have lost the plot now .

Here's an example .

https://www.ebay.es/itm/165298192946

:roll:
Talking of the SS360 AM/SSB above Paul - The one that I had the 5-pin, 5-wire mic' off you for, Nick sorted it out.

There were a few things that needed doing and a little board was missing too, but apparently it's all working nicely now. It definitely wasn't your mic' causing the issue! ;)
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

@friendly1uk

Nothing much radio related but I'll try.... :D
Do you mean Ireland. The enemy of my enemy stuff?
Not at all! The oldest alliance in the world as it was quoted by Charles de Gaulle is between Scotland and France.
500 years ago we had a 100 year war, and in the next 125 years spent 60 years at war. There have been dozens of wars between England and france in the last 1000 years. It's only the last 200 that have been quiet. With just a bit of gun pointing in the last year or so.
You see its a sense or perspective really, large part of GB hasn't been at war with France at all other than during the Napoleonic era, during the last 200yrs.
Threats to cut off our electricity if we don't hand over some islands they want. Typical of their non compliant nature.
Again, look a little further and you find they just wanted what the UK had agreed to provide and then didn't, Fishing licences. The UK breached obligations it signed up to around the channel Islands within months of them being negotiated. They didn't want the Islands (Jersey) they just wanted the agreed licences for fishing to be upheld and provided. Having been met with incompetence from the UK and Jersey in reasonable supply of the agreed licences the French said they would then look at removing electricity provided to the Islands, however only after they consulted with their other EU member states and not unilaterally.
I don't feel I can't buy from Europe anymore. I just don't get to do so tax free. As I don't from China or the USA.
Agreed, neither do I. Items from China and US seem to come about 50/50 with extra costs still, sometimes they do and other times they don't. Of course as a good Citizen when they don't you should declare them yourself ;)
However the OP is in Spain, seeing the same thing, and they didn't exit.
Exactly! Paul is seeing the mirror effect of the UK leaving, Spain didn't vote for that/want that or actually have any say in what the UK did in leaving. All Spain and the remaining 27 other countries had to do further to the UK's departure was make the UK like any other non EU country, because that's what the UK forced on them all.

I liked that there was a larger market for radio and other oddities at my fingertips that couldn't usually be found here. Its a damned shame imo.

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The Collector wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 15:39 It definitely wasn't your mic' causing the issue! ;)
Knew it wasn't Dave :) I'd been using the mic on my radio , so I knew it was good . Anyway , glad you got yours sorted . Did you end up driving to Nick's , or did you pay the £300 courier bill :)
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

cb4ever104 wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 18:42
The Collector wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 15:39 It definitely wasn't your mic' causing the issue! ;)
Knew it wasn't Dave :) I'd been using the mic on my radio , so I knew it was good . Anyway , glad you got yours sorted . Did you end up driving to Nick's , or did you pay the £300 courier bill :)

It was only £77 ONE-WAY lol, mainly to cover the 148F GTL- DX and the Mk3 148 GTL-DX cost of replacement...but sod that, the greedy gits!

We were invited to spend a free week with my in-laws and their entire family in a large rented house (small mansion!), to celebrate their golden wedding anniversary. As it happened, my wife wanted to visit a waterfall on the way, which just happened to be quite close to Nick's place, so we dropped all my radios in on the way and picked most of them up (including the expensive ones) on the way home a week later. Good old Nick :)
Last edited by The Collector on 19 Aug 2022, 22:20, edited 2 times in total.