Baofeng UV3+

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
FEZZYBOY
Call Sign: 26CT6666

Baofeng UV3+

Post by FEZZYBOY »

Hi all,
I have just ordered a UV3+mk2 from the infamous bay and was wondering what everyone`s take is on this 2w tiny dual bander.There are some videos on youtube that i`ve watched but they dont tell me how good the TX is,sensitivity of receive and basically if its any good at all.
I have the UV5R-c and the fairly recent UVB5 which im more than happy with and would probably use this as a radio to have permanantly on me as a back up or just to see how far i could pick up out and about.
Being so small and cheap i found myself drawn to getting this,but would appreciate any comments from anyone who has this radio as to what they think.
Thanks for any feedback

FEZ M6ZEF
FEZZYBOY 26-TM-662 / 26-CT-6666 / M6ZEF
Ranger RCI2970dx
Cobra 25 uk ltd st
Audioline 340
Cobra 19 DX IV
Baofeng UV-5 RC
H-777
Intek H-520
Baofeng UVB5
Baofeng UV3+
4 element-2m Yagi
Venom Silver rod 5/8
Miklor
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: K3NXU

Re: Baofeng UV3+

Post by Miklor »

In the USA, that model is referred to as the UV-3R+

I have one and use it often.
It does have one annoying little bug. The volume doesn't go down to zero.
That can be altered by adding a 33K resister to the main board.
This mod is shown at http://www.miklor.com/UV3R/
under Loud Audio Modification.

Hope this helps . . . John
FEZZYBOY

Post by FEZZYBOY »

Hi John,thanks for the reply.
I bought it and quite like it for carrying with me in a jacket pocket.I use it mainly for listening to shopwatch and pubwatch and the UK PMR446 when im out and about in town and it works very well for this.
I actually dont mind the volume as the lowest setting is cool with the earpiece,but without it i can see why the mod would be useful,but its a bearable flaw.
Its easy to program channels,but i do have the VFO set 1 for VHF calling and the other for UHF calling as the scan is rather slow,so its wise to put all usable freq`s into channels which is easily done with the software.
The receive is quite sensitive also and changing the stock antenna works better.
I can open up a nearby repeater with the 2W,so its not all bad.
The FM radio is a cool function as is the flashlight which has been used quite a few times-so all in all,its not a bad little companion.
cheers and 73.....M6ZEF
Ranger RCI2970dx
Cobra 25 uk ltd st
Audioline 340
Cobra 19 DX IV
Baofeng UV-5 RC
H-777
Intek H-520
Baofeng UVB5
Baofeng UV3+
4 element-2m Yagi
Venom Silver rod 5/8
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Ive owned most of the Baofeng radios an currently have B5/BF888 x4...an still have a UV3R..

Was going to punt the UV3 on Ebay but it stopped charging the batteries so bought an NP60 charger (the UV3r takes NP 60 batts).... Gotta say its unreal the features its got for summat so small but it does the business an always works... Batteries are cheap as chips as they are a common digi camera battery... i pay about £1.50 a battery an have quite a few as back ups...
The front end is a bit wide esp when close to other strong VHF comms but that apart its a right cracker of a wireless an i deffo wont be selling mine now.... External mics are cheap an i use a Motorola copy off Ebay...think it was about a fiver delivered
FEZZYBOY

Post by FEZZYBOY »

Thanks Leakyfeeder i`ll definately check out the batteries and cheers for the info.As with all my Baofeng handhelds i use the Diamond NA771 and although fairly long it brings in some great signals around the `hotspots` in my house,but you just gotta love the size and as you so rightly said,great features.My favourite at the moment is the UVB5.
Cheers.
FEZ
Ranger RCI2970dx
Cobra 25 uk ltd st
Audioline 340
Cobra 19 DX IV
Baofeng UV-5 RC
H-777
Intek H-520
Baofeng UVB5
Baofeng UV3+
4 element-2m Yagi
Venom Silver rod 5/8
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

LeakyFeeder wrote: 04 Nov 2013, 19:32 Ive owned most of the Baofeng radios an currently have B5/BF888 x4...an still have a UV3R..

Was going to punt the UV3 on Ebay but it stopped charging the batteries so bought an NP60 charger (the UV3r takes NP 60 batts).... Gotta say its unreal the features its got for summat so small but it does the business an always works... Batteries are cheap as chips as they are a common digi camera battery... i pay about £1.50 a battery an have quite a few as back ups...
The front end is a bit wide esp when close to other strong VHF comms but that apart its a right cracker of a wireless an i deffo wont be selling mine now.... External mics are cheap an i use a Motorola copy off Ebay...think it was about a fiver delivered
Seems the batteries have crept up in price. Perhaps not even current now, they are about a tenner.
This cell is 2mm shorter and so of use to anyone that can build a pack. Peeling the uv3r apart, you find its a frame to hold this cell, with the bms board along the edge where this gives you the extra 2mm. It's perfect and will be the capacity claimed (as people will test them regularly during ownership)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-120 ... _analytics

My radio still puts 4.2 on the battery, but it just won't take any of it. I suspect my BMS has fried, but they are cheap.