New Antenna & Coax cable

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
viper12
Regular
Regular

New Antenna & Coax cable

Post by viper12 »

Hi,

Hope this is the right place for posting this.

After many years of building my own antennas of all sorts, I have decided to buy the ScanKing royal discone RX 20-2000MHz. I live in a block of flats in London and for the last 22 years, I have had about 20 meters of RG213U running from the roof to my shack.
I usually scan both civil and Mil airband but am happy to scan or try to decode anything from kHz to GHz, so I wanted to find out what you think about RG213U which seems to have an upper limit of 1GHz, and if a change of cable to an expensive cable like LMR400 would be really beneficial.
I would like to scan up to 6GHz with my HackRF, the councils seem to have their video links around the upper end of 5GHz (most likely encrypted).
I am also thinking of placing an LNA at the antenna which may remove the need for the new coax and compensate for the cable loss.
Since I will have to put up a proper mast I also got myself a 4-way electronics RF switch and an 18GHz RF relay, so I may experiment with placing some other GHz antennas and switch them into my coax.
So a bit of a project, I dont particularly want to spend a lot of money on a coaxial cable that it may not make much of a difference or if an LNA would fix it, so I am open to your suggestions and pointers.

Thanks,
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: New Antenna & Coax cable

Post by ch25 »

Get quality sat coax.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
viper12
Regular
Regular

Post by viper12 »

Isnt sat coax 70 Ohm?
Any particular one in mind?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

75 Ohm. Doesn't matter if we talk RX only.
viper12
Regular
Regular

Post by viper12 »

Yeah been reading about that, especially on a scanner.
What do you use, RG6 or better?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

For my RX antennas I use Triset cable. It's used to connect satellite dish with receiver here.
viper12
Regular
Regular

Post by viper12 »

Thanks, looking at the specs for your cable and my existing one, its very little difference. Your cable seems to have less capacitance which makes it slightly better at higher frequencies and it shows in the specs. In fact, Triset 113 seems to have identical specs as RG6 which is used for the same thing here.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I use CT100 for all my RX antennas. It's good to a couple of gigs and it's flexible and easy to work with. Double screened (foil and loose weave). As it's intended for satellite it's a 7mm cable so I fit an F-connector and adapt as necessary.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
viper12
Regular
Regular

Post by viper12 »

Thanks Andy.