The Latest Breed…’ 6900v-7900v-Stryker 955 v2… etc..Views , opinions and tips etc..

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

The Latest Breed…’ 6900v-7900v-Stryker 955 v2… etc..Views , opinions and tips etc..

Post by JibberJabber »

Ok so I have recently acquired all the of the above… I’m yet to hook them all up and compare etc ..

Just wondering if there are many others like me who have plunged in.. ;)

Thought it might be good to have a thread comparing them and tips on getting the best out of them..

What can I say I just can’t stop buying radios.. :lol:
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: The Latest Breed…’ 6900v-7900v-Stryker 955 v2… etc..Views , opinions and tips etc..

Post by ch25 »

Ask a friend 50 miles+ to transmit and listen on them. Than you find a good one.
I stopped buying fancy cb ssb when I pulled a trigger and bought proper ssb rig. Now the rest is b0llox.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: The Latest Breed…’ 6900v-7900v-Stryker 955 v2… etc..Views , opinions and tips etc..

Post by JibberJabber »

I guess as you stopped buying fancy rigs and you now have a ‘proper SSB rig’…. There is no need for you to comment … ;)

Maybe one day I’ll get a proper rig.. 8)
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: AMC45

Post by Edd200sx »

Well hopefully the Stryker will be better. It has the extra
Tx rx adjustable filters.

🤓
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

JibberJabber wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 16:03 Ok so I have recently acquired all the of the above… I’m yet to hook them all up and compare etc ..

Thought it might be good to have a thread comparing them and tips on getting the best out of them..

I cannot specifically comment on these radios but I have historically used this class of radio with superb effect. With a nice low noise floor and good conditions all of these radios will get you speaking to the other side of the planet with a decent vertical antenna system. Noise reduction can be useful I guess for some but I have found it nothing special on ham radios, unless you like the sounds of swirly underwater voices. Though to be fair I work in low noise situations.

This is something some hams cannot take. Most hams are good people. Some hams should pull their finger out and get better antennas, then many will compete with some CB'ers DX successes. But they think 1/4 waves on the ground are top level antennas. Or some low, multi-band horizontal wire that works on 1 band and is basically a duffer everywhere else. The amount of clueless posts I see on antennas from hams on the 2 main CB style forums is almost unbelievable.

No wonder they often need to stick 400W up them.

Pick the one that you prefer using. They will all do the job. Then stick a good quality 1/2 or 5/8 high in the sky... none of this ground mount business. It has worked a shed tonne of DX for CBers for 5 decades, some hams would do well to learn something from that.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Edd200sx wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 20:45 Well hopefully the Stryker will be better. It has the extra

🤓

I hope so.. ;)
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

InTheClouds wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 07:23
JibberJabber wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 16:03 Ok so I have recently acquired all the of the above… I’m yet to hook them all up and compare etc ..

I cannot specifically comment on these radios but I have historically used this class of radio with superb effect. With a nice low noise floor and good conditions all of these radios will get you speaking to the other side of the planet with a decent vertical antenna system. Noise reduction can be useful I guess for some but I have found it nothing special on ham radios, unless you like the sounds of swirly underwater voices. Though to be fair I work in low noise situations.

This is something some hams cannot take. Most hams are good people. Some hams should pull their finger out and get better antennas, then many will compete with some CB'ers DX successes. But they think 1/4 waves on the ground are top level antennas. Or some low, multi-band horizontal wire that works on 1 band and is basically a duffer everywhere else. The amount of clueless posts I see on antennas from hams on the 2 main CB style forums is almost unbelievable.

Pick the one that you prefer using. They will all do the job. Then stick a good quality 1/2 or 5/8 high in the sky... none of this ground mount business. It has worked a shed tonne of DX for CBers for 5 decades, some hams would do well to learn something from that.

Yep fully understand what you are saying… for me I just like changing it up … I get bored looking and using the same equipment… It’s part of the enjoyment for me..😉
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Edd200sx »

JibberJabber wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 17:44
Edd200sx wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 20:45 Well hopefully the Stryker will be better. It has the extra

🤓

I hope so.. ;)
Did you sort the filter menu out in the end?
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

JibberJabber wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 17:47
InTheClouds wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 07:23

Yep fully understand what you are saying… for me I just like changing it up … I get bored looking and using the same equipment… It’s part of the enjoyment for me..😉
With full respect there is only 1 valid reason to change something and that is performance improvements. So if your changes gives you more dB's in and out great ! If not better to spend time (and money) on something that does not bore you. I am serious.. I perfected my radio set up and cannot squeeze a single 1/2 dB out anymore. When I am bored of radio I do something else I enjoy.

Experimenting is good and can be fun in itself, the process.. but ultimately if your station is not improved through applying theory of something better (better antenna better coax, reduce local QRM) it is a waste of time for you and your station.

On Youtube you see hams messing with this that and the other... a new ATU a new variation of the same lossy antenna system... over and again.. zero improvements at all, just spending money and missing the fundamental principles of what a performance antenna is. Everyone is free to do as they wish... including wasting their and other peoples time, pretending their lossy, small, multiband never made in reality antennas are great... even when they have never even built and tested it, just fiction antennas, untested in real life. In fact they rarely ever even build it, never mind test it.

Attention seeking windbags. Radio is being on the radio using equipment.. not gassing about non existent antennas. :lol:

The bottom line is what DX did you make ? The same old stuff over and again or new DX, hard to earn DX.

This is what defines performance. Not a YT vid of a model. That is just "look at me" my radio DXing is not enough so I have to be the centre of attention saying mediocre antennas are superb, addicted to "like" dopamine hits.

Being a poor station is easy, being mediocre takes a small effort, excelling and being truly satisfied with your station means very challenging levels of effort need to be put in.

As long as you are happy with your own approach I guess the hobby has done its job. :thumbup:
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

With respect most of what you have said really doesn’t apply to me… You don’t know me , my set up , just that I posted about some new radios I was trying out and asked if anyone had tried them and how they found them…

I have taken my ‘Antenna system ‘ as far as it can go within the limits that I have and I am satisfied that is the best I can do .

I like changing radios it has nothing to do with bumming to someone about what I have or haven’t got … in fact I barely mention most of what I have …. I don't do vids etc ..

I enjoy radio and I enjoy it my way… I wouldn’t tell anyone how to enjoy their hobby .. it’s personal to everyone.. What may seem a waste of money to you is not to another … we are all different …

Thanks for your input .. but really I wasn’t looking for a lecture.. :thumbup:
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

No problems at all. They were my views, opinions and tips as the post title asked.
You won't have to ask twice for me to not respond to your posts, everything is crystal clear now.

In fact now seems as a good time for this to be my ever post on here.

Enjoy your radios.
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Edd200sx »

Now look what you’ve gone and done jibber 🥴😐
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

If only there was a way to let us know first.....

Can't help but love an Adams.

Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

InTheClouds wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 19:28 No problems at all. They were my views, opinions and tips as the post title asked.
You won't have to ask twice for me to not respond to your posts, everything is crystal clear now.

In fact now seems as a good time for this to be my ever post on here.

Enjoy your radios.
Should that read as 'your last ever post'?

I'm curious though, the topic is about certain radios so why the previous ham bashing comments from you? CB'er, freebander, scanning, ham, it's all radio at the end of the day.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

:roll: … It would be nice if there was a post relating to my first post … Almost everything that has followed has been off topic.. :wave: