Baofeng UK Marine channels file

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Baofeng UK Marine channels file

Post by grafter »

I was asked to write a file for a GT-3TP this weekend so thought I may as well share it on here, this will upload using Chirp set to a UV-5R. This is the third GT3 I've programmed for marine band and none of them having the annoying internal birdie on 156.0MHz Channel 0 that is a problem with some of the other models.

Channel 0 is programmed with a large split but given that it's a two second job to manually enter and transmit anywhere on VHF there doesn't seem much point censoring the original file.
UKMARINE.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
MickeyFKNMouse
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM713

Re: Baofeng UK Marine channels file

Post by MickeyFKNMouse »

I have a gt3tp and I have the birdie on 156.0 I always have to exclude this from scanning and manually select it.
11m 26TM713
446 DMR TM713

RadioShack TRC-1014
AOR Ar8000mk2
Ailunce HD
Tait T2010
QYT KT7900D
Baofeng GT3 TP
Alan 42
Puxing PX888k
AOR AR82000
Baofeng BF888s

Not a ham but use CB and 446
Mobile and HT around South West Cornwall and sometimes Lincolnshire around Waltham
Licenced Business user
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

16 and ch0 are the two main channels to listen to.. there are also 7channels ALB to Y boat that are worth listening to
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

Hi LeakyFeeder, please can yoy explain more about these ALB to Y channels ,I live on the wash in norfolk so they could be usefull to me ,
dpbarry
New User
New User

Post by dpbarry »

Hi Grafter.

I'm current an RNLI Coxswain/Helm and dabble a bit with Radios (AIS etc). I'm Interested to know why you have CH0 set as NFM and in some frequencies, you have Offsets. Could you explain what the offsets do and I see the 160+ frequencies are either + or - What does this do??

Genuinely interested. With our radios, its usually a two finger poke for any double digit channel. CH 0 is just one finger - unless you are using boathouse radio. Don't start me on the ILB radio. Still haven't mastered bouncing from 16 to 31 LOL!!

Maybe I'm on wrong track here but the Birdie you mention on Channel 0. If its what I'm thinking of, we refer to that as the 'Turkey Gobble' (I used to be a Coastie in a former life!). Its the Channel 0 paging system to call out local coastguard units. You will usually hear the Turkey Gobble followed by a voice message requesting the relevant CG Team

Cheers

Declan
grafter wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 16:25 I was asked to write a file for a GT-3TP this weekend so thought I may as well share it on here, this will upload using Chirp set to a UV-5R. This is the third GT3 I've programmed for marine band and none of them having the annoying internal birdie on 156.0MHz Channel 0 that is a problem with some of the other models.

Channel 0 is programmed with a large split but given that it's a two second job to manually enter and transmit anywhere on VHF there doesn't seem much point censoring the original file.

UKMARINE.zip
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

A quick reply for DPBarry

NFM

The setting NFM (Narrow Frequency modulation) refers to the width of the signal transmitted / received.
NFM (Wide) and WFM (wideband FM) are not one and the same - their channel widths differ by a factor of over 10

WFM is usually used to listen to broadcast stations / radio mics - each channel is typically 200KHz apart
NFM (Wide) is usually used to listen to NFM modes where the channels are 12.5 to 25 KHz apart
NFM (Narrow) is usually used when the channels are 6.25KHz to 12.5 KHz apart

Originally VHF marine channels were 50 KHz spaced (e.g. 156.000 - 156.050 - 156.100 etc) but as demand increase more channels were
interleaved in the 25KHz gaps I believe in some parts of the world (Singapore?) they are currently experimenting with 12.5KHz channel spacing

So for marine band in europe today the "optimal" setting is NFM (Wide) although some prefer NFM (Narrow)

OFFSETS

Some of the marine channels are "Simplex" (ship and shore both transmit on the same frequency) - there is no offset
Some are "Duplex" (Ship and shore transmit on different frequencies - permitting a "phone call" like experience)
to add complexity , Here in the UK Some of the Duplex frequencies are used as simplex frequencies (quite often for weather broadcasts)

in order to run duplex you need a receive (RX) frequency and a transmit (TX) frequency both stored in the same memory channel

the difference between the two frequencies is the OFFSET
The + and the - dictate which way the offset is

e.g.

150.000 - (with offset + 500) = transmit frequency of 150.000 + 000.500 = 151.000
150.000 - (with offset - 500) = transmit frequency of 150.000 - 000.500 = 149.500

THE PROBLEM WITH CHANNEL 0

The turkey call as I think you called it above (The Coastguard pager) is not the issue - many radios have similar "insides" which happen
to pick up a false positive signal generated either inside the radio itself, or by third party equipment like phone chargers, electric fence
controllers, solar panel controllers etc . For reasons to numerous to list, channel 0's frequency happens to be a common one that interference gets generated on repeatedly in radio design . The users experience an apparent constant signal but with no with no voice on the signal .
Its annoying because if you are channel scanning it stops on the false signal every time .

Hope that explains

Regards

BB
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

The frequency shift is 4.6MHz up - so channel 1, for example means a ship would transmit on 156.050MHz, but listen on 160.650MHz - which strictly speaking is semi-duplex. The old shore stations were fully duplex, and they could listen and transmit at the same time, handy for phone calls, because people at home don't have a PTT button - but in the UK, these phone stations have been shut for a long time. On the east coast (UK) channel 80 is used by marinas - and they are working these split channels, so everyone hears the marina control, but they cannot hear each other.

Channel 37, is very popular too, and strictly speaking it should really be called 37A, simplex. Up the east coast, the ports alternate between 12 and 14, so my port is 14, one ten miles north is on 12 and so on. The big commercial ports also have their own sub-divisions where all traffic is controlled and they can be using the split frequencies too. Where I am in Lowestoft, 0, 6.8, 9, 10,11,12,14,15,16,17, 23, 24, 26, 37A, 62, 63, 64, 65, 73, 80 seem to be in use - even where (like the ones in the 20's) they now pop up elsewhere.
dpbarry
New User
New User

Post by dpbarry »

Cheers everyone.

That makes sense now. In relation to the Channel 0 issue, I get that now. Totally confusing it with the turkey gobble. Yes, just sounds like someone turned off the squelch on that particular channel. Had the radio up at station last night. Bit off a pain as its great when listening to 'conversations' (when not afloat on lifeboat) between CG, Casualty and Boathouse when on scan mode.

Ah Well. Can't have everything perfect.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

The UK weather has taken a turn into a hot spell, and we're getting tropospheric ducting - I drove from home to my office this morning and our local port are inaudible because a port many miles away is so loud and they're talking to boats I can here loud and clear, but are far down south. It's quite fun to listen to ships asking for permission to enter the port and getting permission, from totally the wrong place - they're asking for permission to enter a port 100 miles away!
Pinksnake
Regular
Regular

Post by Pinksnake »

So easy to sort the ch0 carrier problem.
Just change ur step to 2.5 and then re program in the ch0 frequency and then tune 2.5 down or 2.5 up and see when the carrier goes away then just program that frequency in...might b just slightly off frequency but transmissions can still be heard and it will let ur radio scan without stopping...hope this is useful..
Leet826
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Leet826 »

Does the file come in a text file ? Trying to open on tablet or mobile but .img file isn't readable on the mobile
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

Late to the party, but the file is Baofeng data file - you open it from the software. The power supply for my router in the office is loud and very clear on CH0, and as I have a marine radio in the van as I drive locally, loads of homes have the same problem. Luckily, the users are normally at sea!