When did Airband HF go so quite.

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
nickjaxe
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: M6LPL

When did Airband HF go so quite.

Post by nickjaxe »

Started listening to aircraft HF again a few months ago...a shadow of its former self...I take it data transmission has taken over???

Shanwick on 5649 was my fav....very sad.

Nick in the UK.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: When did Airband HF go so quite.

Post by Mikel »

I have just checked on my HF receiver (Lowe HF225) and Shanwick on 5649 is very busy here this morning as are many other Shanwick frequencies so maybe its a problem your end?

In fact though to be honest at my QTH the noise level on HF has become so bad that its almost impossible to hear much at all on HF below an S7 most of the time, especially on the lower HF bands. This morning things are unusually calm on the noise front hence being able to hear 5649 amongst other things.

I tend to use the online KiwiSDR radios for all of my listening below about 12m these days. If you haven't seen them this is the page to head for:

https://sdr.hu/

For those that don't know, there are over 300 receivers all over the world (almost 30 in the UK and Ireland) and I find them so addictive that I have to restrict my use of them as I would never get anything done! I think there are a couple in the Cheshire area but have a look on the map:

https://sdr.hu/map

The one I tend to use most of the time is located about 30 miles or so as the crow flies from me and is a superb listening tool so all credit to G8JNJ who has set it up. It is a very popular receiver and can be hard to access at times. Here is the link for it:

http://southwest.ddns.net:8073/

What ever happens happy listening and welcome to TM1.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Does anybody else find it strange when someone joins a forum to ask a question - gets an answer but you don't hear from them again? Arn't people the strangest creatures on the planet?
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

The same question crossed my mind but he's an M6 and probably got bored of the entire hobby, sold up and took on something new a day after posting. Where's Pimp when you need a welcoming committee? ;)
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Yes, you could well be right!
Crash one
Regular
Regular

Post by Crash one »

Mikel wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 19:13 Does anybody else find it strange when someone joins a forum to ask a question - gets an answer but you don't hear from them again? Arn't people the strangest creatures on the planet?
I joined this forum in order to find information regarding airband radio, specifically the best type of antenna for TX performance. Was advised of a link to someone who had built a successful unit, I’m sure I thanked everyone for their help. I am not a radio enthusiast such as yourselves, I just use one in the course of my hobby, flying a light aircraft for fun. I eventually got round to installing this dipole antenna as my radio needed to be replaced with an 8.33 kHz unit, so having asked a few questions on here regarding installation I may well disappear at least for a while.
I’m sorry if this is not the way to use a forum, though I think I was able to advise on what freqs to listen out on at various airfields when someone asked the question. I certainly would thank anyone for help and not just grab the answer and say nothing.

As for the thread title, I was advised by Prestwick Centre that data transfer was taking over on Oceanic/Swanwick whatever. Pilots get emails now! They can read them at their leisure rather than scramble about writing it down, remembering what was said etc. My little bug smasher isn’t equipped for such sophistication!
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

We tried Pre-departure Clearance Data as a digital system some 20 years ago at Gatwick, but the buy in from the airlines was poor - just BA as far as I remember. Airlines don't like change or spending money.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Crash one wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 18:28
Mikel wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 19:13 Does anybody else find it strange when someone joins a forum to ask a question - gets an answer but you don't hear from them again? Arn't people the strangest creatures on the planet?
I joined this forum in order to find information regarding airband radio, specifically the best type of antenna for TX performance. Was advised of a link to someone who had built a successful unit, I’m sure I thanked everyone for their help. I am not a radio enthusiast such as yourselves, I just use one in the course of my hobby, flying a light aircraft for fun. I eventually got round to installing this dipole antenna as my radio needed to be replaced with an 8.33 kHz unit, so having asked a few questions on here regarding installation I may well disappear at least for a while.
I’m sorry if this is not the way to use a forum, though I think I was able to advise on what freqs to listen out on at various airfields when someone asked the question. I certainly would thank anyone for help and not just grab the answer and say nothing.

As for the thread title, I was advised by Prestwick Centre that data transfer was taking over on Oceanic/Swanwick whatever. Pilots get emails now! They can read them at their leisure rather than scramble about writing it down, remembering what was said etc. My little bug smasher isn’t equipped for such sophistication!
You have lost me mate, I wasn't referring to you, but making a sarcastic comment about this particular thread originator (nickjax) who made one post on 26 Sep 2018 and hasn’t been heard from since.

Your correct though, I am a radio enthusiast, but not an expert or a communications professional and if I can assist you in any way then I will, but there are far more competent individuals that frequent this site than me and it looks like they have already advised you.
Crash one
Regular
Regular

Post by Crash one »

I didn’t think you were referring to me, just a feeling that I’ve poked my nose into a community for some information and mostly being unable to actually join in and contribute so to speak.
Yes I have been advised very helpfully, and grateful for it. I may well be back with more questions!
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Crash one wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 18:54 I didn’t think you were referring to me, just a feeling that I’ve poked my nose into a community for some information and mostly being unable to actually join in and contribute so to speak.
Yes I have been advised very helpfully, and grateful for it. I may well be back with more questions!
As far as I am concerned, you are more than welcome and If I can help you in any way possible then I am quite happy to do so :D

Please do not feel intimidated if you are not a radio enthusiast, as in my experience there are many on here that are willing to share their knowledge and experience with you :D

Remember the saying that originated from a Chinese proverb "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
Crash one
Regular
Regular

Post by Crash one »

Very true.
A man who knows that he knows not, is not a fool. A man who knows not that he knows not, is a fool indeed.
nickjaxe
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: M6LPL

Post by nickjaxe »

OMG.....just put a search into Google amazing....my old post from 2018 came up top of the list.

Sorry guys I wasnt being ignorat being an M^ at the time as you though.....just prob didn't get an email notification that I had replies to my question......no Idea why the forum doesnt send notifications....so sorry I missed your replies.

Anyway I got the answer to my quetion....as I though....big changes occurred with HF ATC.....its moistly dont via sat coms now.....but a/c still log onto shanwick as a backup as the sys is not perfect.....so not a lot to listen to now bar the initial contact.

I may have only been an M6 but after a lifetime as a SWL I am far from bored with the hobby.....

Thanks again and sorry.
ClaraM19
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by ClaraM19 »

grafter wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 21:36 The same question crossed my mind but he's an M6 and probably got bored of the entire hobby assurance animaux de compagnie , sold up and took on something new a day after posting. Where's Pimp when you need a welcoming committee? ;)
If you could describe the M6 ​​to us in detail, that would be really great.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

ClaraM19 wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 15:23
grafter wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 21:36 The same question crossed my mind but he's an M6 and probably got bored of the entire hobby assurance animaux de compagnie , sold up and took on something new a day after posting. Where's Pimp when you need a welcoming committee? ;)
If you could describe the M6 ​​to us in detail, that would be really great.
It's about 232 miles, three lanes in each direction for most of it. It starts just outside of Rugby and runs all the way to the outside north of Carlisle. It has 45 junctions.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling