Radio is dead.

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Thump283
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 283

Re: Radio is dead.

Post by Thump283 »

Ant wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 07:20 Plenty of activity over here in the UK. I'm assuming that you're American, due to the American spelling 'license' and the American slang term 'sucks'.

The only thing that really sucks is the op's attitude towards uhf\vhf bands. I'm in the states and have found 70cm to be pretty quiet, but have had many a pleasant conversation on several 2m repeaters, and even a couple on the national simplex call freq. I've noticed things slowing down what with the sunspot cycle and mother nature making some of the hf bands propagation conditions quite favorable as of late, and I can't blame people for wanting to enjoy those other bands while they can. I just decided I'd join everyone else on those bands for a while and I'm quite sure when things settle down and we head back into the slump 2m will have a use again for some folks. I monitor the simplex call freq. and a couple of my favorite repeaters, but mostly I'm getting in some good dx time on 10 and 11 meters on ssb. To really enjoy radio you've got to have options as conditions will always be changing. No point getting upset over it or making assumptions as to entire bands being dead....just not as useful right now while others are blowing up nightly. A better attitude would be that radio is awesome, sometimes you just have to go where the action is, and that doesn't mean selling out and going to digital modes if that's not what you're into, I personally am not either, but to each his own. I find plenty to talk to on my radios if I care to accept radio on radios terms. I guess I started out commenting on what you said and kinda turned to my thoughts on the original post, so I apologize if it came across as a rant of sorts. But you mentioned the slang term "sucks" and I just wanted to speak on what I thought "sucked". There is more to that slang term here in the states too. It was shortened in order to be a little less harsh on certain ears. The original expression would be 2 words as in "sucks @$+%" or even "sucks donkey $&@#" in some cases. Either way, I thought it was still an apt description of such an all or nothing attitude towards those bands.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

This is why radio needs characters or you just left with a few old ham grasses. People want entertainment and drama not cq dx cq dx. All those getting defensive are living in denial and living in the past.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

LondonCbRadio wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 09:42 This is why radio needs characters or you just left with a few old ham grasses. People want entertainment and drama not cq dx cq dx. All those getting defensive are living in denial and living in the past.
Get your amateur licence and join in, then you might not have such jealous bitterness over proper radio ;)
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

stinkybob wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 23:18 Ham radio in Britain sucks, whether you say it in an American manner or not. The spell checker on my laptop is probably using an American dictionary and I don’t care. It doesn’t alter the fact that ham radio in the UK is wholeheartedly the bastion of grumpy vaccinated old fools the likes of which I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemies.

I have never in my life known of any endeavour where simply asking a question instantly gets you belittled, scolded and shunned by old farts with a fanaticism about sun spots, who would rather beep at each other across the void in Morse code from dank, darkened basements than actually go outside in the sunlight and say “Hello” to somebody, and anyway if you don’t have a QRZ page with your entire life’s history and photos of your vast “shack” equipment in full view then you aren’t human to them and they’ll refuse to talk to you on the radio.

I have never heard such a moaning, wheezing, complaining lot of vaccinated old turds all in one place as when I happen to run across one of those ghastly “nets” where they hog a repeater for an hour or so and everybody worldwide can listen to five old sods being insular and angry. And no, you are NOT allowed to join in either because you don’t belong to the club!

Here’s all I ever expected out of ham radio: **** civility. But that ain’t ever going to happen, so no wonder the whole things is dead and nobody of a reasonable mental ability is in the least bit interested in such a lacklustre, boring, angry, outdated and pointless hobby as ham radio. In short, it sucks and it’s the boring, grumpy vaccinated old bastards with ancient licenses who have killed it for everybody.
Well they would need to be a real bad bunch of moaners to keep up with you, for all you have done is moan since you
started this post, keep using such language and not many will want to talk with you here either.
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

Thump283 wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 07:50
Ant wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 07:20 Plenty of activity over here in the UK. I'm assuming that you're American, due to the American spelling 'license' and the American slang term 'sucks'.

The only thing that really sucks is the op's attitude towards uhf\vhf bands. I'm in the states and have found 70cm to be pretty quiet, but have had many a pleasant conversation on several 2m repeaters, and even a couple on the national simplex call freq. I've noticed things slowing down what with the sunspot cycle and mother nature making some of the hf bands propagation conditions quite favorable as of late, and I can't blame people for wanting to enjoy those other bands while they can. I just decided I'd join everyone else on those bands for a while and I'm quite sure when things settle down and we head back into the slump 2m will have a use again for some folks. I monitor the simplex call freq. and a couple of my favorite repeaters, but mostly I'm getting in some good dx time on 10 and 11 meters on ssb. To really enjoy radio you've got to have options as conditions will always be changing. No point getting upset over it or making assumptions as to entire bands being dead....just not as useful right now while others are blowing up nightly. A better attitude would be that radio is awesome, sometimes you just have to go where the action is, and that doesn't mean selling out and going to digital modes if that's not what you're into, I personally am not either, but to each his own. I find plenty to talk to on my radios if I care to accept radio on radios terms. I guess I started out commenting on what you said and kinda turned to my thoughts on the original post, so I apologize if it came across as a rant of sorts. But you mentioned the slang term "sucks" and I just wanted to speak on what I thought "sucked". There is more to that slang term here in the states too. It was shortened in order to be a little less harsh on certain ears. The original expression would be 2 words as in "sucks @$+%" or even "sucks donkey $&@#" in some cases. Either way, I thought it was still an apt description of such an all or nothing attitude towards those bands.
I agree, attitude like that will get him far.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Ant wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 21:43
LondonCbRadio wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 09:42 This is why radio needs characters or you just left with a few old ham grasses. People want entertainment and drama not cq dx cq dx. All those getting defensive are living in denial and living in the past.
Get your amateur licence and join in, then you might not have such jealous bitterness over proper radio ;)
Proper radio ? You're a bunch of amateurs mate.
Ant

Post by Ant »

LondonCbRadio wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 17:49
Ant wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 21:43
Proper radio ? You're a bunch of amateurs mate.
I know, but licenced for 400 watts of pure excellence. Why not join us?
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Welcome to the world of socio-economic mixtures. Your comments I really understand, but it is no different to ANY group. They have dynamics - if you like, historic codes and conventions, and you really cannot expect people to change because you don't like their ways. Ham radio is funded by individuals and groups. If the people who spent money on a repeater that you didn't, then like it or not, it's their repeater and you are a guest, or as often happens, a stranger who is not welcome because they want to change the group, not change 'for' the group.

Where you are, how old you are, and what type of person you are really does matter. You don't like their style, so don't join in. That's in your control. If you feel strongly, don't moan, start your own group or repeater - but do NOT concentrate on wanting them to change? Why should they - it's their party.

I use airband, marine band, a business repeater, HF and VHF ham bands and occasionally CB - and they all demand a different style of operation. I'll be honest, I hear some hams call on DMR - people I have never spoken to, and I decide if they are people I wish to speak to. Many I am certain are idiots, or people I could never have been comfy with in person. why would I want to be friendly with them just because it's radio. Stinkybob would be somebody I'd not be comfy with. I totally get his comments and agree with many - but I would never say these things out loud. I've formed an opinion and it's based on the limited facts I have and his style. I'm sure he's a nice guy, and probably saves puppies as a hobby - but on here and on the radio, we have only one sense to rely on and make judgements. We may be wrong - I often am. I'm old, and it has taken me many years to accept tattoos. In the 70s when CB first popped up here, this was my first introduction to tattoos. It completely coloured my opinions, but many of the people I met were in real life, close to, really nice people. At a distance and on the radio, they were frankly scary. I was especially disturbed by girls with tattoos. Now, I look back and realise I was totally stupid and my bias was pathetic. I try to talk to the probable idiots, and many are genuinely realm idiots, but some aren't.

I've even made the effort to talk to one guy who comes across as a total plonker on DMR, but he's alright really.

When I was 18, the local old guy's net was exactly as described here - but I'm now the old guy. Nothing has changed in the 42 years I have held a licence - and in my head, MY exam was still the hardest, and MY morse code test makes me superior. The reality is exams are simply different and knowing morse means I know an ancient language few now speak. I'm a novelty.

Radio, as discussed here is a hobby for most, and it's personal and big enough for everyone. we all come across to other people differently, My comments here mean little - Stinkybob no doubt thinks I'm an idiot for my views, and I don't like his - but we are both grown up, we don't need to like each other. He has a good point really, but we disagree. If we met in real life - we could get along fine, like people do with politics. Disagreement is not always bad.

Daft really isn't it!
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

I was considering a reply along the lines of yours Paul, but more technical based. You pretty much hit the nail on the head and said it better than I could with the angle that people are different for many reasons and not everyone will get on with everyone else. You find who and what you like doing in radio.
Beyond 5/9 and antennas, you are representing yourself as an individual, try and make yourself someone people want to speak to.

Your experience on radio will be a factor of technical implementation, how you conduct yourself and the attitude of others who you interact with. Promote and engage the positive and leave the negative behind without a second thought.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

stinkybob wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 19:46 That's about all I can say on the matter. Actual ham radio, as in 70cm and 2m on analogue, is dead. There is literally nobody on the air apart from the occasional couple of vaccinated old farts that only haunt the airwaves once in a blue moon to moan and bitch to each other about things nobody cares about.
So you moan radio is dead, and then moan that it clearly isn't dead because of the old Werthers suckers on the bands. It can't be both!

I tell you the problem with our hobby. Too many hoity toity folk up on their high horses sticking their nose into other peoples business. I don't care whether they prefer Werehters or Red Stripe, whether theyre an FL holder, held their full licence since Tudor times, CBers, or like to do a spot of DX on .555 or 445 (just so long ad theyre not interferening with anyone), whether theyre home with an enormous beam or simply portable with a Bumfeng. Why should I mind?

The reason our hobby is dying is because of a small but disproportionately vocal tranche of chumps who are so far up their own bottoms theyve not seen daylight in years.

Live an let live. If the bands are a bit Q then bleating about the few people that do actually use it is hardly likely to improve matters, is it? Join them, chat to them, get to know them, earn their respect and friendship, and then some others may eventually join in. If everyone just got on with it life would be so much nicer.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Farty wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 12:10
stinkybob wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 19:46 That's about all I can say on the matter. Actual ham radio, as in 70cm and 2m on analogue, is dead. There is literally nobody on the air apart from the occasional couple of vaccinated old farts that only haunt the airwaves once in a blue moon to moan and bitch to each other about things nobody cares about.
So you moan radio is dead, and then moan that it clearly isn't dead because of the old Werthers suckers on the bands. It can't be both!

I tell you the problem with our hobby. Too many hoity toity folk up on their high horses sticking their nose into other peoples business. I don't care whether they prefer Werehters or Red Stripe, whether theyre an FL holder, held their full licence since Tudor times, CBers, or like to do a spot of DX on .555 or 445 (just so long ad theyre not interferening with anyone), whether theyre home with an enormous beam or simply portable with a Bumfeng. Why should I mind?

The reason our hobby is dying is because of a small but disproportionately vocal tranche of chumps who are so far up their own bottoms theyve not seen daylight in years.

Live an let live. If the bands are a bit Q then bleating about the few people that do actually use it is hardly likely to improve matters, is it? Join them, chat to them, get to know them, earn their respect and friendship, and then some others may eventually join in. If everyone just got on with it life would be so much nicer.
Well said old chap :clap:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Benny

Post by Benny »

Why does the poster keep talking about vaccinations?
QRP Rules OK!
Piggly
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7RUX

Post by Piggly »

This is something I hear from newly-licensed people fairly frequently and whilst it is true that 2m particularly isn't as busy as it was in the 80's and 90's there is still plenty of activity out there.

The most common cause of unsatisfactory experiences is usually down to a poor or compromised antenna setup. At VHF and UHF height and a clear view around the antenna is important. If you operate using an indoor or loft antenna then you likely will find it disappointing.

Can you give a bit more information regarding your operating setup which might help us give some constructive advice?
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Benny wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 21:59 Why does the poster keep talking about vaccinations?
Don't know maybe he is trying to convince us they are safe and effective ?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Piggly wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 12:24 This is something I hear from newly-licensed people fairly frequently and whilst it is true that 2m particularly isn't as busy as it was in the 80's and 90's there is still plenty of activity out there.

The most common cause of unsatisfactory experiences is usually down to a poor or compromised antenna setup. At VHF and UHF height and a clear view around the antenna is important. If you operate using an indoor or loft antenna then you likely will find it disappointing.

Can you give a bit more information regarding your operating setup which might help us give some constructive advice?
Plus a lot of people who say it's dead, are all listening to the radio at the same time - nothing else, just listening......