TS 570 Multi channel/Menu control fix

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
bigboycrp
Registered New User
Registered New User

Re: TS 570 Multi channel/Menu control fix

Post by bigboycrp »

I did this to mine many years ago & it's still working fine to this day!
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

I have owned 4 Kenwood 570dg and 3 had this common encoder fault, a temp fix was to pull the knob off squirt in some switch cleaner and attach a battery drill to the shaft and give it a quick spin, it did temporarily fix the fault.
adamdb
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: m6fud

Post by adamdb »

Just to let you know you that you can fit the following part as an alternative with some minor modifcations

https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/en?k ... 02-1786-ND

thanks to [email protected] for the advise and instruction on fitting (below)

Enclosed are 3 pics about changing the MULTI encoder on a Kenwood TS-570

The first pic shows side by side the Kenwood encoder and the digikey replacement

Let's designate the pins from left to right as pins 1, 2, 3, 4. on the Kenwood encoder, that goes to holes 1,2,3,4 on the board.

Pin no 2 is Not used by Kenwood.

Carefully unsolder the Kenwood encoder cleaning the pin holes.

Once you have received the replacement encoder 3 pins,

From left to right pin 1 goes to hole 1 on the board, hole 2 is left unsused, pin 2 on the replacement encoder goes to hole 3 on the board and pin 3 of the replacement encoder goes to hole 4 on the board.

Prepare the replacement encoder by first removing a protuding tab on the top shaft side.

Then cut the 3 small pins on the digikey encoder and solder 3 wires as per second and third pics.

Note the wire on pin 2 is bent and aligned to enter hole number 3, while the wire on pin 3 is slightly bent to align with hole number 4 on the board.

Solder in place and you're done.

The new encoder is of a much better built and the click is positive.

I've ordered this part and will hopefully be able to make the swap sucessfully.

Image Image Image
billnq0w
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: K0BL

Post by billnq0w »

Were you able to successfully replace the encoder switch with the replacement from Digi-Key???

Thanks
Technoid
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: N2MIRy

Post by Technoid »

You can order an aftermarket part for the multi/ch nightmare from RFsystem. They are in England. I just emailed them to find out if they will take a Visa cad and ship to USA.
Kurt
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Kurt »

Technoid wrote: 07 Mar 2022, 12:37 You can order an aftermarket part for the multi/ch nightmare from RFsystem. They are in England. I just emailed them to find out if they will take a Visa cad and ship to USA.
Have u got a link? I'm not around this forum much any more but I'll keep an eye here. If they won't ship to you in the states, I can get one for you and send it. I have the sam problem with my new to me TS570DG. Mine seems not too bad compared to the description some have given for their problems, but it's still annoying enough to need fixing. Send me a PM if I can help at all

BW
Kurt