Antenna on roof

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Rahsaan71
New User
New User
Call Sign: 1771

Antenna on roof

Post by Rahsaan71 »

I have a question for anyone who can help I have my antenna on the roof but only the tip of the antenna is over the roof but the rest of the antenna is blocked also one of my radials is about 3 to 4 feet above the roof.
My question is do the entire antenna have to be above the roof and will that radial being 4 to 5 feet above the roof will that effect my TX/RX ?
also I'm switching to the Spt-500 from the A-99.
John555

Re: Antenna on roof

Post by John555 »

As a general rule the antenna wants to be in free-space so far as is possible - unfortunately life isnt so easy.

it doesn't sound ideal, if you can get it above the roof line that would be better - that said if it is the best you can do given your local environment then just give it a try. Antennas can be awkward to adjust for SWR with nearby structures especially any other metal work like poles, steel sheet roofs etc. Good luck and stay safe when working at height.
Rahsaan71
New User
New User
Call Sign: 1771

Re: Antenna on roof

Post by Rahsaan71 »

John555 wrote: 23 May 2022, 14:23 As a general rule the antenna wants to be in free-space so far as is possible - unfortunately life isnt so easy.

it doesn't sound ideal, if you can get it above the roof line that would be better - that said if it is the best you can do given your local environment then just give it a try. Antennas can be awkward to adjust for SWR with nearby structures especially any other metal work like poles, steel sheet roofs etc. Good luck and stay safe when working at height.
Thanks for the info