Where have all the Hams gone (VHF)

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Re: Where have all the Hams gone (VHF)

Post by Transwarp »

PARSNIPHUNTER wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 16:48
Love the user name :)
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
beltane
Regular
Regular

Post by beltane »

As a new licensee I have to say that the radio is dead. I currently only run handheld and do not have the opportunity to be putting up large antennas on a roof or in a yard but I'm within shouting distance of several repeaters and they are all silent 99% of the time. I know my radio works because if I blip a repeater it comes on, but if I call out on it either nobody answers or you get some grumpy old duffer scolding you for doing it wrong, which is no help to a new user.

I've heard the same things from a couple of other new hams I know around the country. They all say there's absolutely no activity where they are apart from a few cliquey nets once in a blue moon that shun you if you're not part of their circle already. I have to say it's a miserably dull and pointless hobby when nobody can be arsed to respond to your calls. And no, I am not interested in digital or internet based radio at this time. Frankly, with the lack of satisfaction I've had so far I doubt I will ever buy another piece of radio equipment.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

beltane wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 21:32 As a new licensee I have to say that the radio is dead. I currently only run handheld and do not have the opportunity to be putting up large antennas on a roof or in a yard but I'm within shouting distance of several repeaters and they are all silent 99% of the time. I know my radio works because if I blip a repeater it comes on, but if I call out on it either nobody answers or you get some grumpy old duffer scolding you for doing it wrong, which is no help to a new user.

I've heard the same things from a couple of other new hams I know around the country. They all say there's absolutely no activity where they are apart from a few cliquey nets once in a blue moon that shun you if you're not part of their circle already. I have to say it's a miserably dull and pointless hobby when nobody can be arsed to respond to your calls. And no, I am not interested in digital or internet based radio at this time. Frankly, with the lack of satisfaction I've had so far I doubt I will ever buy another piece of radio equipment.
Radio isn't dead, you won't hear much on a hand held.

Repeaters are for old men to talk about piles. Get off FM and you'll have a good time.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
G8GGP
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0AFJ

Post by G8GGP »

6M was open to South Africa this afternoon (TEP), had a number of QSO’s into Europe on 2 yesterday from The Lizard. Just need to get off FM and put up a decent antenna
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

There is a distinct possibility they have disappeared up their own a$$holes.
Ant

Post by Ant »

40m has been alive over the weekend, day and night, waterfall completely full of stations.

A few nights ago I had a natter with a guy in Texas on 40m and the rest from Europe.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

On YouTube helping your station along in a race to the bottom. :lol:
Ant

Post by Ant »

InTheClouds wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 09:14 On YouTube helping your station along in a race to the bottom. :lol:
What on earth does that even mean?

InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

I think I may have seen one too many YouTube videos and comments suggesting that either a poor antenna or component are in fact great.
Buyer beware.
Radiomarko
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7LJN

Post by Radiomarko »

Everybody is listening for someone else to call CQ on 2M.

Try calling, it works wonders. Get on a hilltop too and you'll be amazed. Enjoy!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Very true, many people say they didn't hear anyone, in fact loads of people monitoring the calling frequency haven't heard anyone, they would if they put a call out.

Ant

Post by Ant »

GB3BN has been busy this morning with someone talking to people in America and somewhere in Asia over echo link. The conversation wasn't great, but I can't help that feel that instead of hogging the repeater to talk to people over the internet, why don't they just go and use skype?

beltane
Regular
Regular

Re: Where all the Hams gone (VHF)

Post by beltane »

It would appear that if you aren't going digital or yapping over the internet you no longer count. All 2m and 70cm analogue is completely dead, all the time now. That's no way to attract anybody into ham radio. It's killed itself off through digital snobbery.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Ham radio has splintered into so many different modes and needs, that's all. I read the people who complain it's dead, then they reveal they have a hand-held radio and nothing else. So people are taking up a hobby, doing an exam and spending nothing, Often a Happy-Meal priced handheld radio. If you live in a big city, then you'll find a few within a couple of miles to talk to, but after the first QSO, what will you talk about? How many people stick a beam up on a rotator? Not many. They cite HOA, expense, practicalities and other real world obstacles. So why did they think ham radio would be a good hobby. Like those model railway folk who only have 6 feet to work in. Just not a sensible hobby.

Handheld - 2 or 3 miles. expand to a simple vertical 6m up and you might go up to 25 miles radius around you. A beam and it might be 60+. HF gives you the world, used at the right time, in the right way! This hasn;t changed since radio was invented.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I can only speak for myself, but my reasons for going quiet on the Amateur bands is that like-minded people seem to be increasingly rare. I'm talking about radio enthusiasts who enjoy designing and constructing radio-based projects such as QRP transceivers, converters, alignment aids, microwave bits & bobs etc. Oh and converting PMR radios to amateur use, this was a big thing when I was first licensed in 1984.
We used to have an informal group that would meet up on 70cm and keep each other up to date on our latest fiddlings, but it splintered into digital comms (DMR voice), digital data (FT8 and the like) and digital TV. Those of us who enjoyed the analogue ways of doing things clung together for warmth, but what with old age, failing eyesight, the dreaded shakes etc many could not carry on making stuff. Some of them had the audacity to die, damn them! Others turned to basic rag-chewing on the repeaters or on 80m (the Emergency Ward Ten band) and we just fizzled out.
I've lost my microwave paths due to new house-builds nearby and the dreaded trees. My 4m activity went down the nick when a source of wideband hash appeared and filled the 40 to 80 MHz area with buzzy junk. These days I rarely come on except for our Topband net at weekends. That can get a bit technical which is nice, but most people have horrendous noise on 160m and it can take a lot of effort to get around it so people tend not to bother.
Oops, I see I've written about this on page 1. Such is the power of Alzheimer's.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.