UKRADIOSCANNING - What Gives?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: UKRADIOSCANNING - What Gives?

Post by Werthers »

scan125 wrote: 07 May 2021, 20:55 As an aside departure .......

When it comes to scanning then we are generally in the VHF+ UHF domains. This means LOCAL. So why purchase 1000s, 10,000s frequencies for the likes of Pam's Taxis in Manchester when you live on the South Coast.

In todays climate we can break this down more succinctly.

1) Most stuff is/has gone digital and encrypted
2) Stuff free to air/hear is mainly "local" small enterprises, PMR, CB, etc.
3) In the 2) above of more general interest will be Air Band, Marine and CB
4) In 3) all the frequencies air published and free

Personally I would not now advocate purchase/subscription to "frequency lists/services"

Now that said I have an interesting and puzzling view on US States Side.

The US guys have far more liberal / permitted listening laws when police, fire, ..... do not seem to be illegal.

The site Radio Reference (radioreference.com) have a large community and host an online database for subscribed members. It would appear to be well supported and viable but I suspect the viability is based on their (US) more relaxed laws and the large national consumer base.

Why am I posting this slightly more detailed info .... ?

Well as some will know I'm the author of Scan125, Scan75 and DriveR8 and other stuff.

I'm also a Radio Reference member and have been asked to support the Radio Reference database import function in my programs. My early attempts failed due to incompatibilities but the development efforts also primed me to think about "value". Value of my time and effort but value to end users. We then have to subdivide end users. UK, US, EU, ......

So taking all things into account I surmised that frequency subscription, purchase, etc. on base value is not really worth it.

THAT SAID I do believe that the professional businesses (as opposed to the likes of JImmyxyz) do have some value.

With that in mind then WRTH have my approval but they are not scanning merchants but world wide public "broadcast" documenters which is a totally different game.
1) Most stuff is/has gone digital and encrypted
2) Stuff free to air/hear is mainly "local" small enterprises, PMR, CB, etc.
3) In the 2) above of more general interest will be Air Band, Marine and CB
4) In 3) all the frequencies air published and free

Exactly not to mention that scanning lists are always 2 to 3 decades old now.
deadite66
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM7373

Post by deadite66 »

luckily fire brigade is still analogue for me too.
SDRPlay RSP1A + CrossCountryWireless Loop
Icom IC7410 + thunderpole boomerang
Retevis RT90 (opengd77) + Diamond x50
Yupiteru MVT-9000MKII, Baofeng DM-1801 (with opengd77)
bertonumber1
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 108AT106

Post by bertonumber1 »

Little update on UK Scanning and the little kerfuffle I had with him taking my doh and not producing.

I was contacted by UK Scanning Directory KIMMYJS19 a year on almost to the date I ordered the CD and never received it.
And this is what he said right out of the blue after no messages or anything since last May:

"Mate, to be honest with you I had a full on breakdown after splitting with my wife of 20 years after she turned alcoholic after her mum died and lost control of everything. I am genuine I was just going through a breakdown. No need for me to contact you now if I am a scammer but I'm not. Just give me your email and I'll get the latest copy of the UK Scanning Directory sent to you free as me and team are back and now better than ever. Regards, Tony."

And to confirm he did send the text files via email.
Better late than never eh

Regards
Kind Regards

Rab