Harrier CBX botched repairs

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Buick Mackane

Harrier CBX botched repairs

Post by Buick Mackane »

Had a harrier CBX in for repairs today, First job was to change the L.E.D display as a few of the digits were out, I soon found out why, Someone had changed it at some point and it looked like it had been soldered with a flame thrower :lol: :lol: Next job was to undo a dodgy squelch mod, A 10k resistor had been replaced with a 160k one :shock: Wasnt even making contact as they had ripped the track off it :shock: :lol: Next job was to find out why the channels were arse for elbow, Which turned out to be broken pins on the channel selector, Who ever changed the ch display had obviously broke them :shock: Another 80s classic saved ;)

The king of the screwdrivers strikes again {bnghd}

Keeps me busy that barsteward :lol:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Re: Harrier CBX botched repairs

Post by bigpimp347 »

i've just spent nearly three hours getting a channel LED to work in a uniden 200..!!

one bar out, simple...change the display as it's normally a dry joint or display..
nope, changed it, nothing still out.
check all circuits, all ok, no broken tracks..
try another LED.. nope..
change the selector (just in case) nope..!!
so check all resisters....BINGO, last one i check has gone..
change it, drip a bit of snot on the selector (got a bad cold ;) )
power it up, a different segment out and some dodgy ones barely lit..
so i try again, clean it up and still one out and some dodgy ones..
then nothing...damn ribbon snapped, re do the ribbon, bingo, all seem ok, oh hold on some dodgy ones..
re solder the channel selector, hear the snot sizzling..ah haa..!!
switch cleaner and heat gets rid of the snot..
then...no display, again..
the ribbon went again.. feck me...then it works and...another bar out..

so some IDE hard drive ribbon out the drawer, re cut and soldered, all lights up and ready to go..

all this for a tenner..!!

so after all that is was probably just the resister, but age and the ribbon keep going didn't help..!!

now all tuned up and ready to go back, next in line will be a york 863 80ch (no locking right) and an old grandstand homebase to service..!!

right i'm off to bed, busy day tomorrow..!!
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

bigpimp347 wrote:

so after all that is was probably just the resister,
Should have been the first thing you checked pimp, Its the first thing i check with dodgy displays

I knew what the problem was straight away with the harrier as soon as i opened it,

The butcher of bagdad and his army of screwdriver assassins had got in :lol: :lol:
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

bigpimp347 wrote:i've just spent nearly three hours getting a channel LED to work in a uniden 200..!!

one bar out, simple...change the display as it's normally a dry joint or display..
nope, changed it, nothing still out.
check all circuits, all ok, no broken tracks..
try another LED.. nope..
change the selector (just in case) nope..!!
so check all resisters....BINGO, last one i check has gone..
change it, drip a bit of snot on the selector (got a bad cold ;) )
power it up, a different segment out and some dodgy ones barely lit..
so i try again, clean it up and still one out and some dodgy ones..
then nothing...damn ribbon snapped, re do the ribbon, bingo, all seem ok, oh hold on some dodgy ones..
re solder the channel selector, hear the snot sizzling..ah haa..!!
switch cleaner and heat gets rid of the snot..
then...no display, again..
the ribbon went again.. feck me...then it works and...another bar out..

so some IDE hard drive ribbon out the drawer, re cut and soldered, all lights up and ready to go..

all this for a tenner..!!

so after all that is was probably just the resister, but age and the ribbon keep going didn't help..!!

now all tuned up and ready to go back, next in line will be a york 863 80ch (no locking right) and an old grandstand homebase to service..!!

right i'm off to bed, busy day tomorrow..!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

Ive found in radios gone by, or others when i did them back then, often you have to be so delicate in some areas on the pcb so as not to lift the track {bnghd} to much heat and its damaged, or others multiple attempts at repair bodge it further still {bnghd} i hate improvised links when a perfectly good track was there really annoying, but this stuffs getting old now and its TLC all the way. 8)
CB call. Shipwreck.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

It is !!!!!!!!!!!
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

PLL02A wrote:
bigpimp347 wrote:

so after all that is was probably just the resister,
Should have been the first thing you checked pimp, Its the first thing i check with dodgy displays

you would think so..
but the rigs been in a shed for 10 years, and when it turned on, there was no display untill the selector got cleaned then it came back in bits, so i originally thought it was the selector, or a dry joint, or just old LED unit..

after all 30 years old ;)
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Bigdave
Legend
Legend

Post by Bigdave »

PLL02A wrote:Had a harrier CBX in for repairs today, First job was to change the L.E.D display as a few of the digits were out, I soon found out why, Someone had changed it at some point and it looked like it had been soldered with a flame thrower :lol: :lol: Next job was to undo a dodgy squelch mod, A 10k resistor had been replaced with a 160k one :shock: Wasnt even making contact as they had ripped the track off it :shock: :lol: Next job was to find out why the channels were arse for elbow, Which turned out to be broken pins on the channel selector, Who ever changed the ch display had obviously broke them :shock: Another 80s classic saved ;)

The king of the screwdrivers strikes again {bnghd}

Keeps me busy that barsteward :lol:

Glad you saved a classic m8 had one backin the day not a problem with it ever....................
26 TM 1248
WINNER of INB4TL, the big battle edition 16/07/23
OFTEN IMITATED,BUT NEVER INTIMIDATED.
WINNER of INB4TL,the no interest edition 18/03/24
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Bigdave wrote:

Glad you saved a classic m8 had one backin the day not a problem with it ever....................
Cant beat the old skool rigs ;)
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wheel bender »

I've seen a cbx hear stations clearly that a mk2 148 sititng next to it was oblivious to very good receive. Prestige big cybernet 134 ....best 27/81 rigs ever.
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
Law_Sayer
New User
New User
Call Sign: 26LT147

Post by Law_Sayer »

Old thread but hey i just gotta share this.

Brought 2 Harriers :D one is a CB-X the other should have been a Harrier CB HQ...... Upon further inspection I discovered someone has tried to shoe horn not only a CB-X in to the CB-HQ case but has also tried to squeeze a set of boots in it too after removing the old PSU from the unit. :crazy:
To make matters worse they have tried to install Mid band (works ok) and in the process screwed up the UK 40 so only a few of the channels work in UK mode. :problem:
I think whoever set this up done it with Plumbers soldering gear. {bnghd}
This is a project and a half simply because a CB-X in a CB-HQ case is a rather nice concept. :ugeek:

If anyone has any suggestions on where to start with the UK Channel issue I would be grateful , I am presuming the issue is around the selector ( which operates the CEPT Channels with no issues). The channel LED display shows the correct channel

Harrier CB-X were and still are some of the best Muppet band radios of the day and this one gives better reception than my CRT-9900.

Cheers
Law_Sayer
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

The VCO is probably out of lock and needs to be adjusted. It's a bit of a crap mod to be honest i'd remove it and return the radio to standard.
Law_Sayer
New User
New User

Post by Law_Sayer »

I think Standard left the building along time ago with this radio. This is me just trying to give it one last go at life before landfill eats it.

Cheers for tip will check it in the morning :thumbup:
Law_Sayer
New User
New User

Post by Law_Sayer »

Update.
It's working VCO was indeed out :thumbup: Buick :thumbup: was giving me 2v on receive and 3.1v on TX now they set to 4v each also as suspected nasty solder work had to retrace 4 tracks that had been burned/ lifted {bnghd} . Swiped a couple of ferrit cores from the CB-X mobile to fix the broken ones in the CB-HQ as the CB-X has bad necrosis no real loss , spares for another time.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Law_Sayer wrote: 14 May 2022, 01:40 Update.
It's working VCO was indeed out :thumbup: Buick :thumbup: was giving me 2v on receive and 3.1v on TX now they set to 4v each also as suspected nasty solder work had to retrace 4 tracks that had been burned/ lifted {bnghd} . Swiped a couple of ferrit cores from the CB-X mobile to fix the broken ones in the CB-HQ as the CB-X has bad necrosis no real loss , spares for another time.
Nice work, Another old classic saved from the bin :thumbup: