Old PSU rebuild

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Old PSU rebuild

Post by NightProwler »

Hey all I wonder if anyone can help me out on this one. I have two very old CB PSU's that Im rebuilding. I have stripped them down and rewired and cleaned everything and ordered all new caps because the old ones had leaked everywhere and made a hell of a mess. Anyway I noticed last night that one of them has the brown live wire coming in from the mains and going directly to the old clunky on/off switch on the front, Then from the switch it goes to the transformer, The blue negative wire from the mains goes straight to the fuse on the back then off somewhere else. The other PSU which is exactly the same is wired the other way around with the live going to the fuse holder and the negative going to the switch.

The PSU'S are those old black ones with the silver front, I have seen them under many names, Bermec, Elftone etc. I got the 5 - 7.5 amps ones.

Also im sure there was a thread on here sometime ago about the MR.Whoosh PSU's being wired like this?

Cheers dudes :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Re: Old PSU rebuild

Post by DX-Digger »

The Live usually goes to the fuse and then to the on off switch and then to the transformer input. the Neutral just goes straight to the transformer.
That is how they should be wired, and not forgetting the earth wire to the chassis case.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Re: Old PSU rebuild

Post by NightProwler »

OK that makes more sense. I'll wire it that way then. Cheers.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death