Original Les Wallen Modulator whip length.......

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Original Les Wallen Modulator whip length.......

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi folks,

I have decided to order a proper Les Wallen base load "Modulator" to add to my collection.
I want to replace the horrid parallel whip with a tapered one, as they don'rt wave around any where near as much.
The tapered whips I see available at Knights etc are 53" long.
Could anyone measure the whip on an original (not copy) Modulator please?
I did try and find this info on the net, but to know avail.

John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Original Les Wallen Modulator whip length.......

Post by Mudslinger »

I don't think that you will be able to unless you drill the part where the whip fits. Tapered whips are a lot thicker at the bottom compared to a parallel one.

The whip on mine is around 53"
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Cheers Simon,

53" is good because "we" can get those from the likes of Knights etc.

I don't mind drilling the coil to accommodate the extra thickness.

I don't know why, when he is making a top quality product, he only supplies crappy parallel whips !!
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I know what you mean about parrallel whips, they certainly do "whip" about a bit when mobile, bouncing the signal up and down on both TX and RX! That's the exact reason I preferred my t40 aerial over my K40 at the time.

I bought some long tapered whips a while back from ebay. They were about £9 each plus about £5 postage for one, but the more you bought, they cheaper they got. I bought 5 whips at about £4.50 each and with only one postage price. Bargain.
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

The modulator from Wallen is superb except for the whip as you say. SWR on 26.515 1.7- 28 600 1.8 on mid and UK its virtually flat on a mag mount. the Scarlet warrior is a bit better on 26 mhz these type of mobile aerials are very good for the money.ive got a copy of a modulator its crap too short ok for 10m though, well strange!
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.