Scanners

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Samalex
Call Sign: MM0

Scanners

Post by Samalex »

Thought i would ask here first. Do you think people are still using scanners nowadays or are they using digital scanners, SDR dongles or internet sites?

Reason i ask is today i took out two scanners for a play. I mind the fun i had in the 80's with the Yupiteru MVT-7000 was great rx where i stayed i was high up and was good for mobile phone listening as well as some of the other bands,

I was playing with the MVT-7000 and MVT-7100 both were working great when i connected to some of my antennas outside was listening to the contest on the ham bands mainly then went thru various other frequencies brought a few good memories. I do also have the kenwood TH-F7 that i take when on holiday for RX and 2m but i feel the Yupiteru's are better at scanning and listening to. I know in their day the Yupiteru were thought of highly but not sure if demand is there now.

Just trying to figure out if i should keep them and use or part with them.

What are your thoughts?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: Scanners

Post by Auldgeek »

Samalex wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 21:50 Thought i would ask here first. Do you think people are still using scanners nowadays or are they using digital scanners, SDR dongles or internet sites?

Reason i ask is today i took out two scanners for a play. I mind the fun i had in the 80's with the Yupiteru MVT-7000 was great rx where i stayed i was high up and was good for mobile phone listening as well as some of the other bands,

I was playing with the MVT-7000 and MVT-7100 both were working great when i connected to some of my antennas outside was listening to the contest on the ham bands mainly then went thru various other frequencies brought a few good memories. I do also have the kenwood TH-F7 that i take when on holiday for RX and 2m but i feel the Yupiteru's are better at scanning and listening to. I know in their day the Yupiteru were thought of highly but not sure if demand is there now.

Just trying to figure out if i should keep them and use or part with them.

What are your thoughts?
I think it all depends on what you want to listen to.

The vast majority of commercial two-way radio traffic on VHF & UHF, has moved over to digital ( mostly DMR), with some encrypting to make it more secure, and unfortunately, harder to listen to. All of your above mentioned equipment will be of no use, as they are analogue.
Civil & most military aircraft still use AM, so your gear will work, as it will for the majority of the amateur bands. There's a growing number of Amateurs using DMR, so again, your gear will be unable to decode much.

There's some cheap ways to allow you to decode DMR using a usb SDR dongle and there's loads of free software, but not exactly a single item solution.

As mentioned at the start, it all depends on what you want to listen to. You might want to think about replacing what you have and go for one of the newer scanners from Uniden, Whistler, AOR etc.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Samalex
Call Sign: MM0

Re: Scanners

Post by Samalex »

Thanks Drew kind of what i expected still good for HF VHF UHF on stuff that's not went digital. Will probably sell them off as i have plenty of radios if i want to rx on. I did look at digital stuff a few years ago but decided it wasnt for me.

Nowadays i am happy listening to 6m and hf with the odd 2m and sats or wx when i have time