Which Solarcon?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Lektroid
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: ID808

Which Solarcon?

Post by Lektroid »

I'm looking at buying a Solarcon antenna, just wondering which would be better; an Antron 99 with Firestik Fire-Up 99 top loader, or an Imax 2000?

I'm also thinking about buying a ground plane attachment, would this make enough difference to be worth the money?

I also have a wind problem here (no not that kind), I'm presuming these are both fairly wind resistant?

Be good to hear from someone who's familiar with Solarcon antennas...
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Which Solarcon?

Post by ch25 »

Both are deaf and problematic antennas. Don't go this way.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Lektroid
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: ID808

Post by Lektroid »

ch25 wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 09:17 Both are deaf and problematic antennas. Don't go this way.
What would you recommend that has good wind resistance?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've had both the Antron/A99 and the Imax (which is still up).

I reported on here a couple of years back that I was swapping and said that listening to a station a distance away whilst using the Antron, the signal increased by 2 whole s-points when I switched to the Imax, albeit maybe mounted just a few feet higher.

However, I have a 9ft tank-whip as a top section on the Imax so this perhaps makes a difference to what it would receive like with the standard fibreglass top section.

The Imax should naturally do better being a longer aerial (they're about 7ft longer than an Antron and mine's 8ft longer with the tank-whip) for groundwave contacts, for DX'ing on skip is anyone's guess as technically you can get miles on just a wet piece of string ;)

I don't actually use CB nowadays, but the fibreglass aerials I've had in the past seem to work okay. I've never had chance though to use fibreglass vs aluminium one after the other as a comparison.

***Just beware, there have been issues with the fibreglass tubing splitting on some Imax's, even from new! Mine had that issue although I bought it as used (1yr old). I ended up routering out a 3mm groove along the split and using fibreglass resin to fill it before sanding and respraying it. My pictures and posts xan be found if you search for them on here ;)
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Lektroid wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 11:50What would you recommend that has good wind resistance?
Sirio2016
Mine is 20+ years old and still working. We had strong winds here, no harm done.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Just be aware that anything aluminium with legs can hum like a bugger when windy. One of their plastic anti-resonance rings may be necessary ;)

The legs on a fibreglass Solacon will flap and bounce about in the wind as they're pretty long, flexible and unsupported and they may not do that much for your signal anyway.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

I've had a Sirio Gainmaster up for 6 or 7 years now. Made from fibreglass and onsiderably better than the A99.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Which, got both but still using my old antron 99 😆 why because it's shorter robust just put it up forget it.maybe use yacht varnish to further protect it from new but may void warranty.or that plastic thin shiny heat shrink pv stuff did mine in it .
Yes I have had couple issues common mode current issues on band but was due to radio mast being so close to set up as when moved set up it went.Had a high swr issue too once,sorted after a plug clean up.
Insulating the antron from mast helps lots.

Tape every joint even the glue joints as uv damages them.

Fire up top section no big gain in signal I noted. What it did do for me is increase bandwidth slightly extra 40 channel either side maybe.

Can't put too many antennas up now health doesn't physically let me do so either and I know their are better antennas in performance.But I still use the a99 why because as I say it's pretty solid , install correctly, tape it all, protect it better from elements ,wrap or yacht varnish. Grease couplings .insulate from pole.see if you can find a tube to once coax plug fitted slip it inside the recess bottom of antenna to better protect plug n drain hole.

Imax is better just dam long and here wind is a issue imax would be like a stick of liquorice in wind but sure it would take it just looked worse so was taken down.
I'm not sure new imax are same as older version either.

Gainmaster work great however I have seen a couple took down to find cracks down every joint tube inner and outer.
Poor install ,quality no idea.

Never tried radial kit.
Still like the sirio 827 , sirio new tornado works dam good 15 ft off ground dam good but has a weakness at base I read.
Decisions decisions ,antron not the best performer for sure but tough yes
dt630
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26dt630

Post by dt630 »

Hi all.
Iv'e had an A99 with the fire up stick up since the mid 90's never had a problem, only ever been down to renew water logged coax.
Worked the world with 100w very good in the wind. Can't fault it.
A few friends have had other antennas up (silver rods, Siro's etc) & they have fallen to bits.
The only one that came close was the Shakey big stick.
So for me would be my first choice again.

DT630
Midget
“Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”
WWG1WGA
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

I’ve had my Sirio Gainmaster 5/8 up above the roofline since 2011… Still going strong… I would thoroughly recommend it. Being tested again with these winds…
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

JibberJabber wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 12:55 I’ve had my Sirio Gainmaster 5/8 up above the roofline since 2011… Still going strong… I would thoroughly recommend it. Being tested again with these winds…
'Tis a bit windy here near the Bristol channel. Sone pylons are down, I've been out of my van and dragging tree branches off the roads and a wall's gone over just a few yards from where I park my car!

My aerial's whipping about like a whippy thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Definitely a bit iffy out out there… I was going into London to work later …hopefully it dies down.. Take care.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Windy here too. 2 dead on the ground after crane collapse.

My towers and antennas survived.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Stay safe guys
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

There WAS a 200 year old oak tree down town next to the car parks. It's now in 2 pieces after almost splitting down the middle. Must have been some gust as the trunk was about 5ft wide!