Antenna matching unit advice on which plesse.

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Antenna matching unit advice on which plesse.

Post by original45 »

I need a atu preferably with meter on also.looking for reliable simple for my long wire and 49.1 transformer or not if I use the 4 band wire.
Like the look of manual over automatic tuners
Not looking to spend a fortune either. 20 to 300 watts rather have bigger so didn't get stressed. Worked hard.

What's good reliable for the pound please.
Thank you
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Antenna matching unit advice on which plesse.

Post by ch25 »

Some Mighty Fine Junk or diy.
Personally I would go for AH4 or similar, well spent $$
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

original45 wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 16:54 I need a atu preferably with meter on also.looking for reliable simple for my long wire and 49.1 transformer or not if I use the 4 band wire.
Like the look of manual over automatic tuners
Not looking to spend a fortune either. 20 to 300 watts rather have bigger so didn't get stressed. Worked hard.

What's good reliable for the pound please.
Thank you
Your post suggests you are using ( or intend to use) an EFHW. You don't really need an ATU unless you're intending to try and use on non resonant bands, as installed correctly, you should see less than 2:1 on resonant bands.
However, as CH25 states, an MFJ will suffice, but QC sucks. I'd always favour inductor roller, rather than fixed inductor. MFJ-969 is rated at 300 Watts, although you may see flashover at that power. If you're going to stick to 100-150 Watts, it will be fine, but like I say, QC sucks. Expect to pay £300 new.

Personally, I prefer Palstar and use the AT-500 series. Rated at 600 Watts (proper)
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Yes indeed efhw ,wind use 300 watts of close too may be half pep but I imagine bigger means less stress on unit ?.

Will look at the models mentioned.
Really looking a solid reliable used item to be totally honest,current c!image has impacted on disposable income presently.

Was looking for simple solid preferable with meter built jn.
Thanks for responses so far guys
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

As said, if it's a half wave, you don't need a tuner, the antenna is resonant.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Yup 100% resonant on frequencies was made for but not others so still in need of a atu as can't put up more wires or antennas presently.

Thanks
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

You'll struggle trying to match other bands when the antenna wire is at a resonant length., you'll find the SWR will be worse than when you started.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Ah now theirs a problem I wasn't aware of . My thought was as I do shortwave receiving too I could kill two birds with one stone or atu even by buying one to improve the swr on efhw and also hoped it could help improve signal receive on sw receivers some too..

In main was to slightly improve on edhw of even a random wire length as I'm learning I wish to experiment.
I know a resonant antenna is Best but will be playing with randoms too eventually.
I probably should have explained myself better in my first op.
Apologies
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

If you want to use an EFHW as a receiver antenna, then it makes no real difference, as it will work well and you will not require an ATU if you want to listen. Unless your receiver overloads like stink and you want to detune your antenna, don't bother.

I use an EFHW myself, with 80m being it's primary resonant band. However, it's also resonant on 40m, 20m, 17m, 15m,12m and 10m. On 10m, the VSWR does creep up when outside of the phone band, but still perfectly usable. It's not resonant on 60m or 30m however, but I don't use these bands to TX on, so not so important.

Decide what your garden can accommodate in terms of the length of wire you can use and if it can be installed without any bends. The EFHW is reasonably flexible in terms of installation but the shape of the wire "might" introduce some issues. If not straight, an L shape works well too. That said, decide what the lowest frequency you can have as the resonant band and calculate the wire length based on that. You can then work out what other bands will be resonant. Normally, if you cannot manage an 80m EFHW, you will not get the 17m and 12m bands in resonance. A shorter version with 40m as the primary band, would then get you 20m, 15m and 10m additionally. Again, for receive only purposes, it will work well.

Don't use a 49:1 transformer with random lengths of wire. It's not supposed to be used that way.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Auldgeek thank you for the tips and info.