Numbers taking up amateur radio in UK declining

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
M3PIE
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26EK1701

Post by M3PIE »

Figures in RSGB Board Proceedings suggest there has been a decline during this year in numbers joining the hobby but numbers are still much better than those before RI online exams were introduced

Number of Foundation exams in 2021:
Jan - 266
Apr - 252
Jun - 157
The figures for July showed the lowest level of Foundation exams since Remotely Invigilated Online exams were introduced in April 2020. The RSGB decided to drop the 8am exam reducing the number of possible exam candidates from 18 per day to 15.

The July exam figures were:
138 Foundation - pass rate 89.9%
46 Intermediate - pass rate 86.5%
85 Full - pass rate 68.6%

Note: Different section of the August Board Proceedings give two different but very similar sets of numbers for July. The other figures say 139 Fnd, 46 Int, 86 Full. It's not clear from the Proceedings but perhaps "no-shows" are the reason ? One set is exams booked the other exams actually taken ?

RSGB Board Proceedings
http://rsgb.org/main/about-us/board-of- ... d-reports/
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Numbers taking up amateur radio in UK declining

Post by Werthers »

M3PIE wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 23:28 Numbers taking up amateur radio in UK declining
Figures in RSGB Board Proceedings suggest there has been a decline during this year in numbers joining the hobby but numbers are still much better than those before RI online exams were introduced

Number of Foundation exams in 2021:
Jan - 266
Apr - 252
Jun - 157
The figures for July showed the lowest level of Foundation exams since Remotely Invigilated Online exams were introduced in April 2020. The RSGB decided to drop the 8am exam reducing the number of possible exam candidates from 18 per day to 15.

The July exam figures were:
138 Foundation - pass rate 89.9%
46 Intermediate - pass rate 86.5%
85 Full - pass rate 68.6%

Note: Different section of the August Board Proceedings give two different but very similar sets of numbers for July. The other figures say 139 Fnd, 46 Int, 86 Full. It's not clear from the Proceedings but perhaps "no-shows" are the reason ? One set is exams booked the other exams actually taken ?

RSGB Board Proceedings
http://rsgb.org/main/about-us/board-of- ... d-reports/
1. Its not surprising.... there has been the covid-19 pandemic and those who were taking there exam before lock downs started where going to actual clubs to do it. Its become more complicated because the exams are all done online and you need to have a PC with several cameras and all the rest. Not everybody has a PC they might have a laptop at best. Its to much hassle for people.

2. Less people are uninterested in Amateur radio. Amateur radio is mostly dead apart from HF 20 meters and below occasional use of 10 meters when the band is open.

3. tighter restrictions antennas, obtaining planning permission etc makes the hobby less enjoyable.

When I got into the hobby I was mainly interested in VHF/UHF where I live I'm not allowed to put up antennas I even had to take down my x30 antenna because people thought I was doing something "illegal", not many people know what amateur radio is. HF don't work well where I am No garden or outside space. A mag loop isn't really effective either... VHF/UHF were my main operating bands but now they are dead. There is no point in even bothering to switch on the radio anymore because so many people have lost interest there is nobody about to speak to.

What do I do? Shout CQ all day on HF with nobody coming back to me because my station is QRP.... HF can get boring very quickly you are 5,9 goodbye.
InTheClouds

Re: Numbers taking up amateur radio in UK declining

Post by InTheClouds »

Werthers, it can seem like that some days, maybe consider

Online exams was quite good for a lot of people so it most probably increased take up of the exams 1 2 and 3 more than repel.
Yes the 2 camera is a bit of trouble in some ways for exams 2 and 3. But where there is a will there is a way. It can be done.. even if it means
borrowing a device or using a second pc or laptop I guess you mean less people are interested. For the second part you do have to put work in... and remember we are still not exactly
in high sun spot mode yet.

3 I spoke to a M7 the other day a few weeks ago he was out at the seaside somewhere and he was completely adamant he did not want to go to the Intermediate because he was dxing so well on HF and liked 10watts saying contacts all around the planet USA and I even think he said Australia but he had been M7 for quite a long time and did not feel the need so probably worked the last cycle maybe, cannot recall details quite. He was either pedestrian or on a trolley or something near the sea.That might be an option if you can build a set up...10w need only small batt. With radio you often need to put the initial effort in to push the boat out and get another level of tx and rx.. I can assure you of rewards if you do so don't be disheartened and have a think about it.

the 59 thing is a bit intimidating at first I found that. It felt like no one really wanted to chat there are other bands that have a more friendly chatty feel. 20M is a bit wham bam thank you for want of a better term. Next time someone says 59 engage them, ask if they can give some advice... with a pre prepared radio question if they have half decent English, even if you know the answer ! Sometimes a different take on any question you can learn a lot.. (Ask about what coax they use or what they think of half waves, whatever... you will find many want to talk more than they even know themselves Complement and ask about how they made the good audio or i don;t know make a list of things to interject to get them to hang around a bit it can be habitual with some and maybe they just need you to engage them a bit more. Another thing call with confidence you are a ham every bit as any other at the core of it, call sign level don't mean as much as you might think.. there are M7's who could probably run rings around my knowledge on certain subjects. Or if you drive get up a hill or at some sea resort car park.

And if someone does not want to chat don't take it to heart they might only get 1-2 hours free radio time a week and want that new hot dxcc, and cannot blame them then,I don't know, just throwing a few ideas for you