Ofcom: Additional clarification of call sign policy

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
M3PIE
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26EK1701

Post by M3PIE »

In response to a Freedom of information request Ofcom have issued further clarification about their call sign policy

Ofcom say:
With regard to the existence of a previous policy, I am afraid there is nothing further I can add to my previous response. With regard to the current policy, I have spoken with the relevant Ofcom team which has confirmed that, when assigning individual callsigns, our system actively ignores any call sign that has been used before. While they advised of one occurrence where a system error caused a previously used call sign to be assigned, in all other cases this means that call signs assigned by the system are new and will not have been previously assigned. The only instance in which a call sign will have been previously assigned to another person is when it is expressly requested by an applicant, in which case the two year retirement rule applies.

The Team has advised that there may be two scenarios in which Ofcom might sanction a call sign being “reused within Months of someone Dying”. First, where the licensee has been inactive for two years but then dies, the inactive period is taken into consideration if someone else (usually a friend or family member wishing to preserve the licensee’s memory) has requested the call sign. Second, where the licence has been held by an individual on behalf of a club, and the club wishes to continue to use that call sign.

The full correspondence relating to the FoI request by Ian Hope M5IJH originally made on June 2, 2021, is available at
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1161287
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Re: Ofcom: Additional clarification of call sign policy

Post by Ant »

I looks as though Ian has a bit of time on his hands going spare......
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Re: Ofcom: Additional clarification of call sign policy

Post by Ant »

If Ofcom issue a person the call sign, then they do have a right to it, as the right is issued.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling