AIRCRAFT TRACKING WHICH PROGRAM IS BEST???

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

AIRCRAFT TRACKING WHICH PROGRAM IS BEST???

Post by WARLOCK »

I live on the Norfolk Cambridgeshire border so i am quite near to raf marham/mildenhall/lakenheath/holbeach bombing ranges on the wash , I would like to see what was going on aircraft wise which would be the best aircraft spotting software to load onto my computer for me t use ??
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: AIRCRAFT TRACKING WHICH PROGRAM IS BEST???

Post by ch25 »

WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
milly

Post by milly »

Planeplotter - not free but can track aircraft from Mode C not just ADS-B so particularly useful for military as only a small percentage use the latter), hideous software mind
360radar.co.uk - web-based, not free (unless you feed data) after PP the best for UK military
flightradar24.com - web-based, some free access, more functionality if you feed data. increasing their military coverage and it's also worldwide not just UK like 360
flightaware.com - web-based, very good for civil, worldwide, all sorts of subscriptions levels from free to silly money (feeders get most of it free)
adsbexchange - Merkin shoite which I wouldn't touch with your bargepole.
There is also freedar which has come on leaps and bounds but still not caught up to the longer established sites.

No doubt lots of other options as well....including setting up your own receiver with a raspberry pi /rtl device for local traffic (and feed the other sites to get the free subscriptions into the bargain)
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

https://www.flightradar24.com/54.56,1.21/6

Capture d'écran 2021-05-11 18.18.10.png
@+
Claude
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Mototrbo2020
Regular
Regular

Post by Mototrbo2020 »

Radar 360
26TM147
Regular
Regular

Post by 26TM147 »

I use the same as Claude, Flightradar 24, I did have a Silver Account with them, but did not see much difference from Basic. I think ADBSExchange shows a lot more Military aircraft

Hope this helps, I live close to Manchester and enjoy watching the plane in and out and listen on the scanner to Tower talking to them
26TM147 - 26AD1, Tony, Yaesu FT857D , SS9900, Icom IC-R30, Monitoring Mid CH14 AM most days! IN NW Cheshire :thumbup:
scan125
Call Sign: 26TM8080

Post by scan125 »

Nick - Author Of: Scan125 - Scan75 - DriveR8 - http://www.nick-bailey.co.uk
bertonumber1
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 108AT106

Post by bertonumber1 »

Hi there apologies for the 3 months late reply, i dont get round to forums much these days.
If you dont mind viewing censored flight traffic then one of the "for profit" companies such as Flightaware, Planefinder, FR24 would suffice.

If however you would prefer uncensored flighttracking from group of enthusiasts who cater for the enthusiast check out adsbexchange.com
live map https://globe.adsbexchange.com for free or you can pay a small fee to the boys at 360radar.

i use adsbexchange as i feed their network with several adsb stations here in Scotland.

Regards
Kind Regards

Rab
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

I use both FR24 and Freedar. I use freedar for military but it can be a bit patchy at times.
You can never have enough radios!
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I live in your part of the world, and adsbexchange shows more aircraft and has the one press button to show only military traffic. Mildenhall and lakenheath traffic is particularly well managed location wise.
justron
Regular
Regular

Post by justron »

I know this is late. But thank you for all the information here. I now have my scanner set up, a /Uniden BCT-15, connected to a Civil & Military airband vertical antenna & I am now starting to program it up. So the above is helpful thank you.