mounting pole seized, how to remove ?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

mounting pole seized, how to remove ?

Post by bigpimp347 »

so i recently cleared a silent key and removed all the antennas (several white sticks)

at the time it was easier to cut the RG214 at the entrance to the mounting pole/sleeve
but now i need to remove the sleeve.

in the past i have used brute force, heat, melted the areldite, buggered the fibreglass and dremmelled the remains off.

but these are all good antenna, two Maldol's, two Comets,
one i will be using myself, another came apart to be fair quite easily.
the other two are seized.
so i have used penetrating fluid (not WD40 or other junk)
am thinking of trying freeze spray ??
i have read about IPA, but the sleeve is a good two inch so needs a lot of penetrating..ooer missus..!!

Any ideas..

i can remove injectors on a Vivaro easier than these barsewards..!!
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: mounting pole seized, how to remove ?

Post by Admiral »

White spirit dissolves glue, but ain't gonna penetrate two inches with no gap. If I have stubborn collars then I tend to have reasonable luck with a chisel bit on my impact gun, but that's quite brutal, hopefully the glue will give before the antenna.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Re: mounting pole seized, how to remove ?

Post by bigpimp347 »

Admiral wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 22:39 White spirit dissolves glue, but ain't gonna penetrate two inches with no gap. If I have stubborn collars then I tend to have reasonable luck with a chisel bit on my impact gun, but that's quite brutal, hopefully the glue will give before the antenna.

there's no glue, it's the mounting pole which slides over the bottom part to cover the coax connection..
the melted glue bit is what happened last time i tried to remove said mounting tubes.

it's just where the two alloy parts fuse together.
i'll see what happens over the next few days with so penetrating fluid and maybe some heat..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!