I'm really thick

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

I'm really thick

Post by Ant »

and need a little help.

I have an FT-897 and I want to have a go at FT-8 or something. I've downloaded WSJT-X and have a data cable which fits in the USB socket on my laptop. The other end has the mini din for the data connection and it has two unmarked 3.5mm jacks.

Anyway I've looked at the settings etc and I'm like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Haven't a clue what I'm doing :o
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Alan Pilot

Re: I'm really thick

Post by Alan Pilot »

Don't think your radio has a built in sound card has it.
You will need to read up a bit on what you need.
Something like this (first one i found) is what you want to connect your radio to the computer.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265272011327 ... SwmCxfomAq
Ant

Post by Ant »

I've got one of these, it came with this radio but I've never used it. Fits in the data mini din port.

Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

acs
Regular
Regular

Post by acs »

I used a simliar cable to connect my FT450 to a laptop for run FT8.

The information at this link may be of some interest

I had use a USB sound card as the laptop sound card would not provide a stable output signal. (abt £4 of Ebay)

It may take a little research but someone will have posted their setting.
73's
Ant

Post by Ant »

Thanks, will take a look at it. Meanwhile had a go with my 991. Connected but can't make head nor tail of it :lol:

acs
Regular
Regular

Post by acs »

Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

A m8 had that cable with a ft-450 and after watching a video for the settings for ft-8 he just had to swap the small plugs round then he put a label on them how the manufacture should have done.

With the 991a i just followed this video and it worked first time.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Thanks guys, I managed to get that far, then was having issues which I think are due to RFI, so I've borrowed a lead from elsewhere which has ferrites, but I'm going to have to get some more ferrite cores.

Doing well so far with the FT-991, even on 5 watts. I'm using a DX Commander vertical.