KENWOOD TS50 Lithium cell replacement/memory backup.

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Siamskip
Regular
Regular

KENWOOD TS50 Lithium cell replacement/memory backup.

Post by Siamskip »

Ok people ,I recently aquired a TS50. After reading the owners manual and powering up a couple of times,
I realised the lithium battery for memory backup was DOA .Is this part exclusive to Kenwood or are they
generally available from electronics retailers? :x
Chill Winston, Life Is'nt supposed to be serious.pull up a radio & spark up a doobie!
mrplow

Re: KENWOOD TS50 Lithium cell replacement/memory backup.

Post by mrplow »

Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

I put a coin cell holder in mine so that in future it's easier to replace the battery. After replacing the battery it's essential to do a microprocessor reset or the battery dies very quickly.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Siamskip
Regular
Regular

Post by Siamskip »

Thanks to Mr plow for the link enlightening read, Otter ,can you recall where you got the battery holder,
and battery manufacturer Number. Was it a big deal to fit? I have average soldering skills.
All this Cmos talk sounds a bit worrying. Saying that, I would trust myself more than some
Thai technican. There attitude is if they miss up they still expect to be paid,and except no
responsability for the ballsup. Oxygen theives. :evil:
Chill Winston, Life Is'nt supposed to be serious.pull up a radio & spark up a doobie!
Radioactive21
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: AB4VG

Post by Radioactive21 »

Otter, I must not have properly reset the processor. The new battery went dead in three days. Exactly what should I do to make sure this doesn’t happen again?
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Not sure about the microprocessor reset, can’t remember how I reset mine when I replaced the battery, I think that I did the reset according to the instructions in the user manual. As regards the battery modification, I bought half a dozen coin type battery holders from eBay, very cheap, they are a black plastic circular holder that the battery just clips into, there is the bottom contact and the top contact that clips over the battery which holds it in place in the holder. The holders come with wire ‘tails’, black and red, a couple inches in length, remove the old battery from the board in the radio, unsolder it, observing which solder side on the board is positive and which is negative and solder in the tails of the holder, insert the battery and cover it with a thin wrap of foam and place the holder and battery in a space where it will fit, there is a big enough and deep enough space on the front right side of the radio, put the covers back on, do the reset and you’re done!
Radioactive21
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: AB4VG

Post by Radioactive21 »

Well, you know the old saying about what happens when we ASSUME anything...I opened the radio up and found that the battery had not drained at all. In my concern about getting things too hot, I didn’t heat it up enough and the lead off the lithium battery popped off but only after I had had it in use for three days. That is why I ASSUMED the battery had drained. I secured it down tight with enough heat on the lead and the put the casing back together. Then to reset the microprocessor I held the A=B button down first then powered up then powered down. That should do it I hope.
Last edited by Radioactive21 on 19 Mar 2021, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
warhorse

Post by warhorse »

This maybe handy if you lose it again!!! just scroll down lol
https://www.radioamatore.info/help-joomla/35/314