Not picking up

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
rink123
Regular
Regular

Not picking up

Post by rink123 »

Hi, I live in Shrewsbury Shropshire and have just bought a Alinco DJ-11
And I am not sure Why I am not getting much from it just 2 frequency pick up now and again
they are 134.420 and 133.155 I was thinking of getting a outside antenna for it will this help me
pick up more ? or will I be just wasting my money Co's of where I live Thankyou
if You can help :thumbup:
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Re: Not picking up

Post by 26mb04 »

What sort of things do you want to listen to? You could just be listening in the wrong place, or the wrong time. An external antenna would be a good idea, I've had good results with a cheap secondhand 2/70 colinear for scanning. If you want HF, you'll almost certainly want some kind of external antenna.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Would have thought you would pickup aircraft wherever you live.
External aerial will be better than anything internal.
rink123
Regular
Regular

Post by rink123 »

Thanks for the information, I would like to be able to listen to aircraft and CB radio plus taxis and RAF Shawbury that's about 7 miles from me
if I could :thumbup:
Broken_Antenna
Regular
Regular

Post by Broken_Antenna »

I've never managed to pick up CB radio on anything but a CB antenna. I think the internet has killed the CB hobby because i don't see any vehicles with CB antennas or even houses with CB antennas on the roof anymore. As for taxis..where i live they all use those mobile phone looking devices to send the jobs through to the driver. I can only pick up 1 taxi company and they only use the radio once in a while and it's always the same 2 voices. I don't seem to be able to pick up as much aircraft as i used to and can only hear my local approach.

It maybe different where you live but it's just a few things to bear in mind.