Toshiba S-AV17

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Alan Pilot

Toshiba S-AV17

Post by Alan Pilot »

Not sure where to put this but here goes.(did try in the wanted section but no response)...
Anybody know where i could get hold of a s-av17 power module.
Just got a little Kenwood TM-733 but only transmitting on 70cm nothing at all on 2m.
Any links much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Re: Toshiba S-AV17

Post by 26mb04 »

Is the power module repairable or a selaed module? It might be worth phoning up the UK radio sellers and asking if they've got any lying around. It's the sort of thing they might not put on their second-hand listings because it's a bit specific, but I'd definitely try phoning around.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

26mb04 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 11:32 Is the power module repairable or a selaed module? It might be worth phoning up the UK radio sellers and asking if they've got any lying around. It's the sort of thing they might not put on their second-hand listings because it's a bit specific, but I'd definitely try phoning around.
Thanks for the reply.
The board cracks and the tracks split but they are that small i can hardly see them but going to have a go with a big magnifier.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I've just seen the schematic, it looks like some kind of RF module. I don't know how much is repairable, and there is apparently beryllium inside so be careful! There are a few on ebay. It's probably something used in other radios, so it might be worth finding what else it's used in (Icom IC-?) and buying one of those for the parts. At least then you know you've got a genuine part and a dodgy ebay knockoff.

EDIT: I've just found this info about repairing it:

https://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwoo ... epair.html
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

26mb04 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 12:15 I've just seen the schematic, it looks like some kind of RF module. I don't know how much is repairable, and there is apparently beryllium inside so be careful! There are a few on ebay. It's probably something used in other radios, so it might be worth finding what else it's used in (Icom IC-?) and buying one of those for the parts. At least then you know you've got a genuine part and a dodgy ebay knockoff.

EDIT: I've just found this info about repairing it:

https://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwoo ... epair.html
Thanks for the reply.
I did try the repair needed a strong magnifier but found the cracks 4 of them and did the repair.
Outcome was i now have a very low output so need a new module unfortunately.
Regarding a radio for parts would likely have the same fault as it looks common.