Addresses publicly available on QRZ

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
M3PIE
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26EK1701

Re: Addresses publicly available on QRZ

Post by M3PIE »

I see some just add only first name and town/city and Maidenhead locator and WAB square.
and maybe QSL image and/or photo.
take your pick.
Mark.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

It's a good idea to set up your own QRZ page before someone else does.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Werthers wrote: 22 May 2021, 18:31
Mikel wrote: 22 May 2021, 15:46
Werthers wrote: 21 May 2021, 19:39

It really doesn't matter at this point. He takes crack so he is a crack head. I'm going to be contacting the RSGB about address being available to the public. Its stupid.
As others have stated the RSGB (or OFCOM) have nothing to do with your address being on QRZ. In the UK you must add your details yourself but it is not compulsory to have anything on there at all if you don't want to.

Maybe you are getting confused with the USA where the QRZ system will automatically add a new callsign within 3 days of it becoming effective on the FCC's website, but they don't have access to any UK regulator or RSGB details.

Perhaps you put your details on there and forgot you had done it? Easily done, especially if your memory is as bad as mine :)
When I first joined QRZ and registered my call signs I'm pretty sure that it stated in red when filling out the application that addresses were required but maybe its changed now I wasn't aware that my address was on display. QRZ did tell me that I could remove it when I inquired it yesterday but they did it for me and its sorted now. I must admit I did feel like a plonker when I realized that.

When I researched it online all the threads were American so that would make sense. Probably to late now but hopefully fingers crossed nobody has my address.
A number of radio hams around here do not have any entry at all on QRZ, they don't see the need for it and it is not compulsory, so maybe you could consider closing your QRZ account completely if it gives you peace of mind?

I have been in a similar situation to you and unfortunately you will always have these idiots in all walks of life and like you, the Police would do nothing, but I would still log any 'incidents' that take place with them by calling the local Police non emergency number or paying a visit to your local Police station (if there are any left?).

Try and get a crime number off them, so that you can quote it when you call them and if it does go beyond being annoying then they have something to go on.

Try and find out the name and address of the person who is harassing you, there are ways and means of doing this and for a small payment you can access the Electoral Register online to help you. Once you have this information then you can really start the ball rolling!

Try not to let it get you down, and don't let them know it is bothering you and they will given time, usually get bored with you and move onto someone else :thumbup:
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
MikeSierra
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSierra »

I raised concerns in 2018 about finding my call sign info available on https://www.levinecentral.com/ham/grid_square.php?Call= (put call sign after =) for anyone to see without signing in on QRZ.COM. Got an answer from the moderators politely saying that is not their problem, so p!ss off.
After that I removed my exact address and surname from qrz.com.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

This is very important and I am glad it came up and that many have such concerns.

I don't have a QRZ and never will. I don't like the idea of it at all.... for all of the above mentioned reasons. I was called a pirate the other day
because I don't have QRZ, by a UK station, tw@t. (A tw@t that could not make the DX I did incidentally :lol: instant payback.)
Better to be occasionally called a pirate than be on QRZ.

I wonder who the f*** QRZ think they are. They are a random website not a government body or the global ham radio Police.

The lure is the bragging rights of an open log book for others to see, I do understand that it could look nice for visitors, there are other ways of doing it though albeit without the log. I know when I made a contact or not that is all that matters frankly. Other hams don't give a rats ar*e about your contacts they are self obsessed about their own. What other hams care about is their signal report and maybe your working conditions and rough location.

Not being on QRZ protects you and your love of the hobby into the future, that is MORE important than QRZ log.

Be cautious... and Hams just because a station does not have QRZ don't jump to conclusions that they are a pirate it is very unlikely they are.

And instead of being a lazy ham, why not do a search, QRZ is NOT THE ORACLE of ham radio many stations have their own website and videos etc.. stop being lazy.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Thanks for all the advice people. I wont let it bother me, people can do or say what they like on the radio and I ignore it but if I get trouble at my door or threats then it becomes another matter. Things have calmed down so I think his given up now hopefully.

I will keep my QRZ page so that people don't think I'm a pirate. I had been accused of being a pirate when I first became licensed and wasn't on QRZ.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

In all honesty if someone wants to find you they will.. the internet has made the world a very small place in regards of finding people....and when all else fails there are several small companies that can find anyone for a quite reasonable fee.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Also Dont forget about https://www.hamqth.com/callsign
:thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

When you become a radio ham you make a decision to stay anonymous or not. Details withheld has been the case for ever as far as I can tell. I’ve never bothered because the antennas are always a bit of a giveaway, locally. If this person is stalking you, and you have evidence, go and see a solicitor and do something about it. We have laws now that you can use. Keep in mind that while you are now removed from online lists, many of those lists have been pinched and put on the net elsewhere, so your details may still be available, and your nemesis clearly knows who you are and where you live. I sell radios, but don’t operate, however I used to give people my CPS code plug and ask them to just replace my ID and call sign. QRZ regularly tells me my new contacts, and I have to smile because they’re certainly not me!
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Well how things have changed, I'd never heard of anyone being called a pirate or other for not being on QRZ, how ridiculous.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.