PMR446 license-free radio frequencies

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

PMR446 license-free radio frequencies

Post by MrWeetabix »

PMR446 (Personal Mobile Radio 446) was conceived as a European licence free two-way radio system and was introduced in Ireland in 1998 and a year
later in the UK; where it successively replaced the former licensed Short-Range Business Radio (SRBR) service. PMR446 operates on frequencies that are shared by multiple users on an uncoordinated basis which means there is no control over the number of users sharing the same frequencies at any one time.

All equipment for use on PMR446 frequencies is required to be in hand portable / walkie-talkie form, feature a fixed integral antenna and operate with an effective radiated power not exceeding 500mW (0.5 watts), while the use of base station, mobile radio, repeater or fixed infrastructure is specifically excluded.

Unlike mobile phones, with PMR446, calls are unlimited and free and there are no subscription charges or licence applications to complete making them ideal in situations where instant voice communication is required over distances of up to 6km (actual PMR446 coverage depends on terrain and environment)

To ensure continued availability of license-free analogue and digital PMR446 frequency bands and reduce congestion, new PMR446 frequencies were introduced across Europe in line with Harmonised European Standards EN 300 296-2, EN 300 113-2 and EN 301 166-2. The new frequencies, which follow ECC Decision (15)05, create greater capacity by allowing both analogue and digital equipment to effectively share the assigned frequency spectrum:

PMR_446_Jan2018-2.png
PMR_446_Jan2018.png
Information Source - Kenwood PMR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: PMR446 license-free radio frequencies

Post by Werthers »

I wish I could put these into my Hytera PD785 it doesn't allow it. They work great for ham use but run into problems when wanting to put 446 channels onto it.

I'll will have to see if there is a way around it sometime. I'd only bother with the first two rows make 2 zones one for the 16 analog channels and then another for the 16 DMR channels.