Baofeng shoulder mic ,3.5 mm ear piece plug issue

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Baofeng shoulder mic ,3.5 mm ear piece plug issue

Post by original45 »

Been using the uv5 more recently and found if I got the shoulder microphone speaker and via the 3.5 mm Jack plug on its underside fit a extension speaker it just transforms the receive audio quality this being on my first speaker mic.
bought a second speaker mic for mobile use with uv5 looks same but if I push in 3.5 mm Jack 3/4 way in speakers on both the Mic and extension work however plug won't hold that position as it's not seated.
Push it in all the way no audio receive is heard on either Mic.

Tried another Jack with slightly longer insulator ring still same however I can then push it in slightly more so it works.

anyone had this know of a simple fix please.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Re: Baofeng shoulder mic ,3.5 mm ear piece plug issue

Post by 26mb04 »

The speaker mic probably uses a different wiring configuration from the norm. Have you looked inside? Baofengs use the Kenwood pinout wiring, so 3.5mm output won't actually be audio in the typical sense. I would expect the external speaker socket to be standard though, but there's no guarantee.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Re: Baofeng shoulder mic ,3.5 mm ear piece plug issue

Post by original45 »

Yup it's the external speaker of earpiece socket on the shoulder mic that the issue .should be standard I'm sure but just won't work on my plugs for speakers or earpiece