Knackered my UBC125XLT! - repair info required

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
JLow75
Regular
Regular

Knackered my UBC125XLT! - repair info required

Post by JLow75 »

I have a Uniden UBC125XLT that has lost it receive - I believe I know why & what happened, I did not know these can be easily damaged by RF in close proximity (even with the unit switched off) I transmitted on a 5W UHF walkie talkie with the Uniden in very close proximity without thinking, now it's stone deaf on all bands.

I have managed to find a small amount of info on the internet that states there has been damaged caused to a particular IC, but without more information i.e. what component(s) require replacing i'm stuffed. The only information I could find was from users who sent theirs off for repair & had them returned back to working order.

Firstly, has anyone else had this happen? - RF damage to a UBC125XLT scanner rendering it stone deaf? if so what was your course of action?

If I could find out what components have been damaged & I could get replacements I can replace them myself, failing that I would be willing to send it off for repair - so if anyone could recommend somewhere I could send it? (I am based in the Midlands)

As these are still £120+ to replace I don't want to bin it (yet)

Thanks in advance
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Knackered my UBC125XLT! - repair info required

Post by ch25 »

I would start from downloading service manual, than asking myself: am I capable of diagnosing and fixing it? Can I read schematics? Do I have DMM?
Link valid 30 days: https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/00ace00 ... 478f84dff3
Is it deaf on all bands?
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
f4phixeruk
Regular
Regular

Post by f4phixeruk »

Just a quick one before you take the back off. The attenuation isnt switched on is it ?? Mays seem a silly question, but speaking from experience [Done it myself in error - then panicked as the scanner has gone deaf] This is now the first thing I check.
JLow75
Regular
Regular

Post by JLow75 »

ch25 wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 18:22 I would start from downloading service manual, than asking myself: am I capable of diagnosing and fixing it? Can I read schematics? Do I have DMM?
Link valid 30 days: https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/00ace00 ... 478f84dff3
Is it deaf on all bands?
Chris
Hi thanks for the service manual!, looks like a assembly manual, but the schematics & component list/designators are there that is the main thing that is great, I will still need some more info/advice where to start though. Yes deaf on all bands

I don't believe there is any attenuator settings on this scanner? - anyway it packed up without me touching anything at all. I performed a factory reset & then re-loaded my codeplug, in case it was a settings issue but it made no difference.

The scanner is already completely stripped - right down to bare PCB's, I wanted to see if there was anything visually obvious, but as I expected nothing.

Yes I'm ok with schematics - I'm a 25 year time served electronics/electrical technician & a 30 year radio enthusiast (although no experience with scanners)

Yes we have all the test equipment at work - DMM's / Scopes / Signal Generators etc, also all the tools & equipment to remove & replace surface mount components.
Last edited by JLow75 on 08 Jan 2021, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

1. Is there any voltage on TP1?
2. Is VCC_R present?
I suspect Q1 might be fried, but could be also AGC issue. Can you hear anything when transmitting close to scanner?
JLow75
Regular
Regular

Post by JLow75 »

Thanks, yes will do those checks.

Yes it still receives with the transmitter right next to the scanner & with audio - but signal very weak

I've printed the schematics out in A3 which always helps a lot!
JLow75
Regular
Regular

Post by JLow75 »

The VCC Reference seems ok = 3.28v
There doesn't appear to be anything on Test point 1 ? - PCB is covered in conformal coating so will make sure I've scraped it off properly & check again. This will be Monday now as I can only do it at work where I have all the kit here.

Another pain is the two PCB's are piggy-backed by a header & you can't access the test points on the receiver board when it's powered up via the main board

God send we have a good illuminated magnifier here!
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

TP1 is antenna output, measure here.
For piggy-backed PCB's I usually make a cable to connect them while disassembled.
Chris
JLow75
Regular
Regular

Post by JLow75 »

No definitely nothing on the Antenna output, with reference to chassis/ground.

Many thanks for your help on this, problem I'm not a service engineer in the true sense of the word, I'm a wide range electronics & electrical build/installation/repair technician - and when it comes to fault finding to component level, my experience is limited, especially with
modern radio equipment, never worked on a scanner!. Obviously I can use all the kit & can follow a test procedure no problem, but without such a procedure I'm stuffed
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Sorry, I need glasses. Measurement correct, there should be no voltage on antenna socket.
use signal generator, touch collector of Q1 and check if any signal will be received.
Safe way would be via small capacitor inline to separate DC.
JLow75
Regular
Regular

Post by JLow75 »

Bit of an update on this, I finally got round to ordering some BFP420 Transistors & replaced Q1 & success, it worked! - Ah well I thought it did!.

It's back to normal on HF & VHF CB & aircraft bands receiving again like they did, however it's very deaf on UHF - only tested it on PMR446 so far but that test alone was conclusive - I have a diamond X30 mounted on side of my house & it picked up nothing, tried another cheap radio & PMR sprung to life. It does receive on UHF but only if the signal is VERY strong & it wasn't like this on UHF before.

So I was wondering if this could be anything to do with the original problem, or something else completely un-related?. When I was trawling the net to find out about the original fault, I did see Q2 mentioned also, maybe worth changing that aswel.

Anyway I have spent too much time on this, tome I don't really have so It's going on eBay 'as is' with the issue mentioned in the Advert of course.
antonov124
New User
New User

Post by antonov124 »

Can someone please reupload the service manual ? Thx
UBC125XLT and some SDR stuff