Cereal box license myth.

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
MorseMan
Call Sign: 26TM2806

Cereal box license myth.

Post by MorseMan »

Many posts on this forum wrongly suggest that
a foundation license is given away in a cornflakes packet.
I wish to dispell this myth as you actually have to sit an exam now.

In 1988 a large scale recall was made by Kellogg's due to the fact a small amount of RAE pass slips were incorrectly packed together with a morse test credit.

Unfortunately due to an influx of G1 stations appearing on the amateur shortwave top band allocation & (Heaven forbid) using a callsign.

Because at least 3 senior citizens inhaled a partially sucked werthers original while shouting abuse ( " Get back to VHF you second class low life ! " )

Venting anger through the RSGB & lobbying the Secretary of state the band police successfully had all gifts removed from cereal boxes as they constituted a choking hazard, Especially where half sucked sweets are concerned.

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news, But I feel it is my duty to dispel the urban myth about the new blood coming into the hobby.

You only get out of life if you put in some effort
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MorseMan
Call Sign: 26TM2806

Re: Cereal box license myth.

Post by MorseMan »

Daddy there's no license, You'll have to study !
All the trolls are wrong !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

I don't know, those pesky Foundation License holder make me sick always wanting something for nothing.

Look at this one, looking for donations, I mean whatever next :evil:
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Well I'm a prized original M3, those M6 / M7's and any future foundation M series are just wannabe M3's ;) :lol:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Transwarp wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 21:08 Well I'm a prized original M3, those M6 / M7's and any future foundation M series are just wannabe M3's ;) :lol:
There is nothing wrong with that and just think, if you hang onto it long enough, when OFCOM are issuing M9 or whatever, some time in the future, some people will think you have a full license like an M1 for example. ;)
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Indeed, l might even get a mention in RadCom in years to come as the only still in use M3 licence holder, fame beckons! :clap: 8)
joshovpandy
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: GW5NIC

Post by joshovpandy »

I am in no way casting aspersions at the older operators however it is correct they believe that licenses are now given away, that doesnt matter if its a Foundation, Intermediate or Full. I been a amateur radio operator for six and a half years now, six of them being a Foundation holder and the level of respect shown to you is damn right disgusting.

I have recently passed my Full license only to be asked if I had completed my CW training by shall we call a dinosaur! I think they ought to keep up with the license conditons and requirements rather than making sighfull and unhelpfull remarks.

I am 28 years of age and worry that if people aint encouraged or helped into the hobby that it will not have a future, I for one wish for it to see me through to old age.

Any help you can give new operators to encourage them to pursue the hobby is of great advantage for the next generation, even tounge and cheek comments may come across wrongly and discourage people from participating. I ask that we all think before we say something that could offend people and ultimately cause the death of this wonderful hobby we all love.

Stay safe, Best wishes 73's

J
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

joshovpandy wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 21:30 I am in no way casting aspersions at the older operators however it is correct they believe that licenses are now given away, that doesnt matter if its a Foundation, Intermediate or Full. I been a amateur radio operator for six and a half years now, six of them being a Foundation holder and the level of respect shown to you is damn right disgusting.

I have recently passed my Full license only to be asked if I had completed my CW training by shall we call a dinosaur! I think they ought to keep up with the license conditons and requirements rather than making sighfull and unhelpfull remarks.

I am 28 years of age and worry that if people aint encouraged or helped into the hobby that it will not have a future, I for one wish for it to see me through to old age.

Any help you can give new operators to encourage them to pursue the hobby is of great advantage for the next generation, even tounge and cheek comments may come across wrongly and discourage people from participating. I ask that we all think before we say something that could offend people and ultimately cause the death of this wonderful hobby we all love.

Stay safe, Best wishes 73's

J
You will always get these people in all walks of life and it is essential they get treated with the contempt that they deserve.

Not all the old guys who are members of the 'Cult of RAE' are the same, and the 2 that helped me, and went out of their way to arrange things so that I could sit exams and complete practicals around my busy life at the time, are first rate guys!

And there are many more like them and only a minority are 'Victor Meldrew' clones.

The ironic thing is of course that the 3 part examination structure in total, is a lot more work than the old RAE was, but you know the old saying 'Never let the truth get in the way of a good story'.

The good thing about Transmission 1 is that these people with attitude do not usually last long on here, as there are plenty of places online that will give them a warm welcome and are sadly more than willing to entertain the particular kind of bigoted bile and vitriol that keeps their hearts beating.

Just enjoy the hobby the best way you can and remember, these people will not live forever :D
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

I've been into radio for most of my life, my first experience of CB radio as a kid was in 1979 and got my very first one in 1980. I'm been a licenced M3 since 2004 and I've heard, read, and been on the receiving end of impolite remarks / comments / jibes about foundation licence operators and being one. Water off a ducks back to me, folk who've dished out such or acted that way have always got the virtual finger from me along with a few home truths told. Shouldn't be like that of course but if muck starts being chucked I'll always chuck it back.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

I got a spare license in an Aldi specialbuy last year - it was on offer with a cordless drill.
:)
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Transwarp wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 15:42 I've been into radio for most of my life, my first experience of CB radio as a kid was in 1979 and got my very first one in 1980. I'm been a licenced M3 since 2004 and I've heard, read, and been on the receiving end of impolite remarks / comments / jibes about foundation licence operators and being one. Water off a ducks back to me, folk who've dished out such or acted that way have always got the virtual finger from me along with a few home truths told. Shouldn't be like that of course but if muck starts being chucked I'll always chuck it back.
Was the same 30yrs ago with A and B class licences, I had not taken the morse test so I was not a real amateur.. You evolve and get over it... I was a radio service engineer and everyone wanted me to run their radio up on the firm's Marconi test set - so I was seen as a 'real' amateur fairly quickly :D

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

My wife did morse code 50 years ago but i would bet you she couldn't turn my radio on.
She recons it was easy and she is no genius at all.
My problem is i am dyslexic but it could be funny lol might give it a go.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Probably sound like me then? We need to forget the licence for a moment but consider society. For ever, aspiration has been drummed into us at school, then at work. If we want promotion, extra responsibility, more importance etc it is a choice, and DOES result in higher status in society, but only from people who think the same. Being on the dole in the 70s labelled you badly. Many pretended they still had a job! Now, wearing grey sweat pants and a hoody labels you to people - either as one of that chunk of society, but to people outside it, as lower in status often by a long way! Somebody with a Masters Degree feels a bit smug, when looking down on the bachelors degree, and they of course look down on those without one. The people who are called Doctor often realise it actually means little and smile at everyone, because they think it does! Some people are called Sir, others might be Lord, but the hereditary peers don’t even notice. We can pretend all we like that we are classless in the UK, but were not, and probably never will be. Everyone is fiercely protective of their place, but argues continually that it doesn’t matter.

My G8 to G4 gave me a leg up because I could do something extra that took a bit of work. This effort I’m still using in my head 40 years later. It’s silly. However, I KNOW I’m better. My choice is to shout it often and very loudly or shut up. I usually shut up.

I saw a photo of a group of hams who were active when I was learning and qualifying, out of twenty, three made me welcome. The rest viewed me and my friend as interlopers, and unworthy because I wanted to buy a radio, not build one!