Antenna wire ,which and where ?

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Antenna wire ,which and where ?

Post by original45 »

I have been looking at antenna wire for a permanent install from top of garden in trees to house.
So lightweight isn't my first choice due to wind and wear.
Need something strong ,stealth ish and maybe 150 watts minimum.

I'm looking to make a end fed dedicated 80 mtr at present.have already got the 49:1 transformer.

Seen sotabeamd do a green light weight 100 mtrs and heavy duty 50 mtrs but as I may get it wrong and I'm sure make something else I will consider 100 mtrs ish required.

So what do you home antenna makers use that's good and won't break the bank please.
Thank you
dt630
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26dt630

Re: Antenna wire ,which and where ?

Post by dt630 »

Try & find some D10. This is wire used by the Army for comms. You can tow a car with the stuff.
It can be a bit of a bugger to work with.
I've made many an antenna out of it & have never had one snap.
Also on the tensoning use bungy cord or a 5 litre can filled with water as a weight so the antenna can side under windy conditions.

DT630
Midget
“Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”
WWG1WGA
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Cheers will look for that. Some of this wire is crazy expensive.
Sotabeams stuff seems cheapest for h duty 17 awg .
But still looking and listening for advices.
Thanks
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Enamelled copper wire.
And stay away from endfed if you like your neighbours.
Some reading at your favourite poison:
https://www.w8ji.com/long_wire_antenna.htm
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 9-EFHW.pdf
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Cheers Chris,the first link I had read whilst looking for antennas. I'd have gone for a half wave diapole horizontal with a9:1 transformer I believe but feeding in centre will be difficult for me.
End fed will be half the hassle and easier to get 20 ft up a tree vertical the rest horizontal inverted L.
I have a quality 49:1 transformer already to utilise .

I did look at a Miliband wire but I understand for use in 80 mtrs requires some form of coil .
So I assumed a half wave wire for 80 endfed was easier.
That and the fact I am not at all technical and only have the built in atu on the 450d .
So I'm after wire, and a simple endfed instruction that a none technical going to get confused n give up can follow.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

End fed need counterpoise.
Your neighbour TV cable, gutter, etc. That antenna is a big trouble.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

If you're feeding in the centre, it's not an end-fed anymore ;-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Chris_M1BIK
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M1BIK

Post by Chris_M1BIK »

When it comes to wire antennas, I split the high current parallel layout two-core stuff you use to hookup electric cookers with.

It's flexible enough to put some fairly permanent bends in where necessary, very wind resistant and at a push can make an emergency balanced feeder (not recommended as a feeder, but if you need to replace broken feeder in emergency, it'll get you out of trouble).

If you plan it right, and remove the gunk coating off it, it's still stiff enough to retain shape when formed. A good example being you can make a long wavelength vertical driven element from a single core and one length, using the other core to make radials out of. Not necessarily your first HF antenna choice, but like a long wire - it'll be effective enough to decide if you want to go bigger/better/more complex or not.

I know a contractor, so I get small amounts for free when there's not enough left on a drum for his needs at work, but I buy my full drums through him (I do a lot of IT and free antenna surveying for him, so the bought cable pretty much squares things up). But if you don't mind straightening it out, there's often some discarded leftover or pull stuff you can obtain at sites.

I'll just say, if you explore sites sourcing, be honest and don't just grab it - people react helpfully to a bit of consideration and you being considerate enough to ask if it's OK to take.

It's not your first choice, but it's an open option.