Advice on mobile antenna

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
AlexM8885
New User
New User

Advice on mobile antenna

Post by AlexM8885 »

Hi, just new to the forum and also amateur radio and was wondering if I could ask for some advise on a suitable mobile antenna for the car. I am interested in something that would be ideal for tx on 2m/70cm but also maybe have the capability to receive airband.

Currently I have the MRW-100 from Moonraker but looking for something a bit better. I have a mag mount which can accept PL259 connection and an adaptor if I need to go BNC.

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
SgtBilko302
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 108ct302

Re: Advice on mobile antenna

Post by SgtBilko302 »

Buy a Diamond SG-7900. Dual band with really good gain. Will also allow you to RX the airband.

https://hamradiostore.co.uk/amateur-rad ... -7900.html

May be a bit expensive but they're built to last. I bought a Chinese copy a few years back and at 15 mph and a speed bump it snapped. It was replaced free of charge but has never been used.

Paul.
AlexM8885
New User
New User

Post by AlexM8885 »

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for getting back to me. I've checked the SG-7900 out and I'm fairly impressed. Added to the shopping list. Many thanks
dt630
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26dt630

Post by dt630 »

Hi.
If you get the Diamond check the grub screws that hold the whip in the coils.
I have had these come loose before.

DT630
Midget
“Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”
WWG1WGA
specializedrider
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: MM7BCG

Post by specializedrider »

Im am also looking for a mobile VHF antenna but idealy something under 1M as i might have to store it in the car when not used.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

On my work van with a nice big flat roof I have 4 antennas with common mounts and have swapped and fiddled on all kinds of antennas. I need access to ham, marine and business bands but also some time for hires, air band. 5/8ths are the best for ham bands (and the others I guess) but they are worst for out of band reception by a very noticeable amount. Band width on ¼ wave antennas make them for me a clear winner. I have ¼ waves for 2m, marine and business band and the marine one is the most useful. Vswr is fine on all three,miso one radio gets used on these the most. All ¼ waves also give good vswr as a ¾ wave so business and ham bands also work well. This doesn't work with ⅝ wave antennas. Vswr on air band is a bit higher at just over 2:1 but as he hand helds I hire don't object, the marine VHF ¼ wave give pretty good air band reception. My van roof is a decent ground plane of course, and the polar pattern is pretty even. Everyone always criticises ¼ waves but for me they're by far the most effective.

I've also got a network radio so I cut a ¼ wave for that to try. Forget it. The feeder loss wiped out the performance, and the small antenna on the radio works much, much better than an external one!. If I had a car it would be a magmount ¼ wave centre of the roof. No messing!