What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2020)

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
redeye68
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM776

Re: What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2020)

Post by redeye68 »

The Collector wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 20:10
redeye68 wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 19:16 I was watching that 934 twig had a few days to go thought i'd leave it till near end of auction to put a bid in. When I went to check it out Item gone must of ended early. Enjoy
It was £12 I think but you could also make an offer on it. I did and had it accepted. It saved waiting a week by just spending just a few quid more.

There's another on ebay at the mo but it's part of a job-lot including a 934 radio and other bits and was at £102 the last time I saw it.
No worries i've seen that one thanks
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Picked up this complete mint boxed 3900 for a very reasonable price on a BIN.

I'd promised myself that I'd stop buying radio's and radio related gear. Evidently that fell flat on its face when a bought that boat load of gear a month back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The SS3900 I bagged for £80 arrived yesterday. A good 9.5/10 condition wise. Everything in the box as supplied new, even the CRT sticker! It's actually a decent radio and pretty stable on frequency.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2018)

Post by Oggy »

The Collector wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 13:42
Cousinjack wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 23:06
The Collector wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 15:31 Just bought this new, old stock job-lot for £14 B.I.N. including postage.
I remember that, I still own it.......it must of been over 10 years ago, I forgot who sold me it :D

Should have saved your cash for this bad boy.... it's gold too !! :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIDLAND-77-2 ... SwPUBfBwMh
I did have a mint, unused and boxed one years ago, but sold it on as it's not a 27/81 radio. Some were converted but mine wasn't. Did the same with a mint, boxed mid-block Alpha 4000 (Rotel 240 lookalike) that I sold to Dave - M0OGY on here years back too, about the same time. I don't bother with anything other than unusual or rarer 27/81 stuff nowadays as a rule :)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Just picked up a bit of a scarce one. Yes, it has a 3900 front, but in reality it's a very late MK1 148 GTL-DX with a '13' serial number. Bracket and power lead included.

I have a very clean bezel, and a 148 inlay off ebay will finish it off nicely. No doubt it will need a trip down to Nick's as it looks to have been modded going by the marker pen on the front. But I've been after a MK1 for a while and hopefully this one will fit the bill.

Cousinjack

Post by Cousinjack »

astradyne wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 12:42 Just picked up a bit of a scarce one. Yes, it has a 3900 front, but in reality it's a very late MK1 148 GTL-DX with a '13' serial number. Bracket and power lead included.
Wow.... great find...
It’s what we all dream of- finding a hidden gem !
👍
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Cousinjack wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 15:48
astradyne wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 12:42 Just picked up a bit of a scarce one. Yes, it has a 3900 front, but in reality it's a very late MK1 148 GTL-DX with a '13' serial number. Bracket and power lead included.
Wow.... great find...
👍
It's scarcer due to It's very early 13 serial number as nearly all the Mk1's had serial numbers beginning 03.

The radio has arrived, but sadly it's been in the hands of a lunatic Screwdriver expert and has a very untidy eprom fitted amongst other things.

I'll get some pics taken and uploaded tomorrow.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

astradyne wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:12
Wow.... great find...
👍
It's scarcer due to It's very early 13 serial number as nearly all the Mk1's had serial numbers beginning 03.

The radio has arrived, but sadly it's been in the hands of a lunatic Screwdriver expert and has a very untidy eprom fitted amongst other things.

I've seen a few around but like you say, there are not many. Here's another one currently for sale on ebay (They're like buses as the saying goes):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233729524861
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 08:33
astradyne wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:12

Wow.... great find...
👍

I've seen a few around but like you say, there are not many. Here's another one currently for sale on ebay (They're like buses as the saying goes):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233729524861
A lot of radio's seem to be that way...

Anyhow, I got in contact with the seller and made them aware of the issues. They kindly offered a £45 partial refund. You can't say fairer than that.

Here's an official memo regarding the Mk1/Mk2 serial numbers for the 148 GTL-DX.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Nice one. Well that info's straight from the horse's mouth. Nice of them to reply to you.

I emailed Dynascan myself a couple of months ago trying to obtain any info about the Cybernet-boarded Mk3, plus I asked if they'd got a pdf of the manual too. I had an email back saying they'd pretty much been closed-down due to Covid and would get back to me, but I've heard nothing since. Perhaps I'll direct my questions at this Diamond geezer (had to get that in ;) ) as he seems on the ball.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:15 Nice one. Well that info's straight from the horse's mouth. Nice of them to reply to you.

I emailed Dynascan myself a couple of months ago trying to obtain any info about the Cybernet-boarded Mk3, plus I asked if they'd got a pdf of the manual too. I had an email back saying they'd pretty much been closed-down due to Covid and would get back to me, but I've heard nothing since. Perhaps I'll direct my questions at this Diamond geezer (had to get that in ;) ) as he seems on the ball.
You can buy a very good copy of the manual and frequency memo sheet on ebay. Very reasonably priced.

Thanks Simon. Looking forward to reading the "Vienna" article.

astradyne

Post by astradyne »

astradyne wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 10:29
The Collector wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:15 Nice one. Well that info's straight from the horse's mouth. Nice of them to reply to you.

You can buy a very good copy of the manual and frequency memo sheet on ebay. Very reasonably priced.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143767841087

astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Just fitted a new signal meter as the original was beyond repair.

So far I've worked out the coverage to be s-low to high band plus UK 40 and a 10kc stepper. The band switch has several more positions but I doubt they'll do anything. I'll check that on the counter later.

Half a dozen of the tuning cans have damaged cores so they'll be replaced at some point.

Looks like the original MB8719 has been removed and replaced with an MC145016P. Not the tidiest mod I've seen. There are also a few varicaps on the top of the PCB and a bodged in 2166.

To be continued...

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

astradyne wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 10:30
astradyne wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 10:29

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143767841087
I was after one for the 6-band Mk3 "fake" Cobra as the haters call them, not the Mk1/2, but thanks anyway :)
mrpsychopath
Call Sign: 108tm1313

Post by mrpsychopath »

Bought last week, a ham international select, serviced by Saint Nick. Nice little radio. Just need to find an antenna for it to use it as a portable.
Kill em all and let god sort them out.