Trying to understand available frequencies to use.

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
GDog
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: RedWold

Trying to understand available frequencies to use.

Post by GDog »

Hi all,

Where can I get a frequency chart that will help me better understand what I can and can't transmit on. I know this sounds like a bit of a daft question but it's difficult for me to put into words.

For example I have a chart that shows super low to super high. But who uses super low? I assume Poland uses midband but not the same midband as UK Midband is it the same as USA midband but they use AM?

I can see ham bands start on super high at 28.005mhz. What does this go up to?

Or for example I don't understand what's available to a licence holder I.e. 2 meter? 10 meter? 11 meter? How many more Meters!!!

So do I need a book of frequency charts like a telephone directory and could anyone suggest where I would find it?

Can a radio amateur transmit legally on 27.555?

Yes, like I said, daft question.

I just bought a modern CB radio which covers 26 to 28mhz. But when channel 19 is dead, what hope would I have of hearing someone on 26mhz?

Is there a frequency where the Gods (radio amateurs) play. Like a radio Olympus? Once you are initiatiated in the way of the HAM you hear radio traffic bustling like a busy town center at say (insert God frequency here in Ghz)

Aside from a couple of DECENT people in my local area, the CB is pretty dead. Or has goons playing music. I'm interested in radio and electronics but do I need a book of FCC and Ofcom laws to truly understand what I should ve broadcasting on.

Just trying to understood how big the playground is to play in. At the moment I feel like I am in a radio playpen.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Trying to understand available frequencies to use.

Post by ch25 »

GDog wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 04:23For example I have a chart that shows super low to super high. But who uses super low? I assume Poland uses midband but not the same midband as UK Midband is it the same as USA midband but they use AM?
Poland and USA legal range is 40ch from 26.960 to 27.405. Poland all modes, USA AM/SSB
GDog wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 04:23I can see ham bands start on super high at 28.005mhz. What does this go up to?
28.000 better not transmit here without ham license.
GDog wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 04:23Or for example I don't understand what's available to a licence holder I.e. 2 meter? 10 meter? 11 meter? How many more Meters!!!
https://www.iaru-r1.org/reference/band- ... -bandplan/ many
GDog wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 04:23Can a radio amateur transmit legally on 27.555?
No one can except right owners - military, government etc. I could hear military ALE transmissions very often over 27.700
GDog wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 04:23Is there a frequency where the Gods (radio amateurs) play. Like a radio Olympus? Once you are initiatiated in the way of the HAM you hear radio traffic bustling like a busy town center at say
Most of the SSB traffic on 10m is between 28.450 and 28.550 when skip is open.
GDog wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 04:23Aside from a couple of DECENT people in my local area, the CB is pretty dead.
Dead here too. Since a long time.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Thanks Chris that helps a lot! I'm wondering what AEF is in terms of military. Is that USA?

I can appreciate that fifty years ago they would use any available frequencies but I wonder why they still use a frequency that anyone can access easily, and still unencrypted?

I would have thought they would avoid anything near 26 or 27 Mhz nowadays as it's so close to CB.

Still you have peaked my interest so I am going to try tuning in later on the off chance I will pick something up.

So is 27.555 technically a military frequency? I think this weekend I will do some searching online and check out that link you posted.

I suppose I am just trying to get my head around the logic of radio. I.e. I cant see military using a radio with forty channels on it. I appreciate in the beginning it was only 23. Why not move away from channels completely and just have frequencys ( or is that what HAM sets do and I've just never noticed)
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

AEF?
Military are using wideband radios by Harris or other, also transmitting on ham bands.
On 26MHz there was a broadcast French station transmitting in AM. There was also DRM BC activity on 26MHz.
See: https://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/index.php/11_meter
Check https://www.klingenfuss.org for more information what and when transmits on the air.
See traffic from 2010 list:
111112212.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Thanks Chris for all your help with this.
I have been able to download some DAT files for the CRT6900N on this site and cant tell you how happy I am.
Local breakers have put me on the straight and narrow with the Midband UK laws and I have been happily lapping up some of the signals recieved.
So now I am looking to see if I can find a full 360 channel DAT for the 6900N or perhaps I will need to sit and make my own.
All the best,
G
SgtBilko302
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 108ct302

Post by SgtBilko302 »

Hi GDog. If you want a DAT file for the 6900 i have one i made for the latest V6 6900.
Send me a PM with your Email and i'll send over to you. I can change band B to cover the 10 mtr FM if required.

Band A - 28.255 TO 28.655 ( 10 MTR )
Band B - 26.065 TO 26.505 ( SUP LOW )
Band C - 26.515 TO 26.955 (LOW )
Band D - 26.965 TO 27.405 ( MID )
Band E - 27.415 TO 27.855 ( HI )
Band F - 27.60125 TO 27.99125 ( UK40 )

Paul.
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Hi Paul, I wouldn't say no LOL!
Thanks I really do appreciate it!
SgtBilko302
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 108ct302

Post by SgtBilko302 »

Send me a PM with your Email.

Paul.