QYT KT-8900D clone issues

Here you can discuss Datamodes for all bands (PSK31, FT8, JS8Call, etc), Software Defined Radio topics & General Radio Software or apps
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

QYT KT-8900D clone issues

Post by Otter »

I bought an Nktech 9800, thinking it was the same as as the KT-8900D and could be programmed by Chirp. When it boots up, the front panel even says KT-9800D. Well, using Chirp it reports that the radio didn't go into clone mode. I tried all the QYT variants, I tried another brand. Nothing. I can't find the original software for download or even for sale. Does anone have any ideas apart from programmig manually?
Nktech.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Re: QYT KT-8900D clone issues

Post by Otter »

Well, I answered my own question. A lead from a CRT space U is not the same as a lead for the KT-8900D.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

glad we could all help haha
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Otter »

Yeah, thanks everyone, the way I worked it out was really serendipitous. A local wanted to borrow my CRT space U programming lead and came to pick it up tonight. I said I tried it with a new radio and it didn't work with it. He had bought a radio like the one I bought, but with a lead and that lead didn't work with his space-u. So he borrowed my lead and I followed him home and borrowed his. Programmed all the PMR channels in with Chirp - no problems.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I'm not being funny, but having looked up crt space u, it's clearly a totally different radio so not working is pretty much the expected result. Having the right connector is just a small part of the process. I've got dozens of programming cables and without the labels I eventually put on them, finding the right one was always tricky. Even more when some have to be pushed in all the way, then backed off a tiny amount or the connection isnt made. The ones with 2,3 or 4 circuit 3.5mm jacks are even odder with some many potential connection differences. Radios with virtually the same operating systems rarely work on the same programming cable. Even with so many cables I still end up buying new ones!
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Otter »

These are both 3.5mm stereo jacks - I did look on the adverts first. There are 3 connections (Rx, Tx, Gnd) needed and 3 poles.
For audio at least - and the way the 3.5mm PCB connectors are connected you would expect the connection closest to the cable to be ground which just would leave 2 possible configurations. Quixiang make a lot of the radios, so I would expect most of the cables to be the same. OK, I was wrong, but when this is done I will know how to make the cables up myself. I've already detailed how to make your own CRE-8900 programming cable on this site :)
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Otter »

It's 5V RS232, ground is closest to the cable, Tx data from the PC on the tip so must be Rx data in the middle. Standard 3.5mm stereo plug.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

My programming cable box is pretty full. Half have labels. Spent hours yesterday with a pile of radios trying to sort it. Appearance means nothing, neither does brand names, it's simply luck!