The positives of being a radio ham are...

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Re: The positives of being a radio ham are...

Post by Transwarp »

Take a look on auction sites if you want to see what overpriced is, and some will buy it as well :crazy:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Transwarp wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 10:56 Take a look on auction sites if you want to see what overpriced is, and some will buy it as well :crazy:
No need to look on auction sites, Take a look on here :lol:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
pat
Call Sign: 29LR001

Post by pat »

DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

For me its about learning about radio propagation and electronics, soldering building low power radio's
How a transistor works. whats an IF and a how to calculate resonance of antennas etc.
I like to read and learn, although trying to get it to stick in my head is a task.
Experimentation is the key, Building things 10GHz Gunnplexers, ATV transmitters. Morse Code.
The list is endless, for me its NOT about Contesting or Working DX although that seems to be the key aim embedded in Ham Radio, I.E
Make your station better to work longer distance DX etc Not my idea being honest.

The main thing for me is the diversity of the hobby.
There are so many paths to go down.
A Full Radio Licence allows you to experiment, and hopefully not cause interference to other radio users be it hams or who ever.

I started on CB 1979, will always love CB, but trying to improve my knowledge of all things Radio is what I enjoy.
And NO Im not an expert I gets things wrong, I mis-remember things.
But Its all about the learning and the friends you make on the journey.
That sums up Ham Radio for me.
No Cardigans here, Just a Huddie, and the occasional Worthers hehh hehh
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
bear
Regular
Regular

Post by bear »

I've just read the whole thread and concluded there are some right prats using this forum which is a shame.
You're not in the slightest bit amusing apart to yourself.
Ignorant bastards.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

bear wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 10:44 I've just read the whole thread and concluded there are some right prats using this forum which is a shame.
Ignorant bastards.
Totally agree bear my auld mucker, They contribute nothing to the forum apart from 2nd rate jokes, Their not funny and their not clever.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I think if you attend a good Radio club to work towards your licence then you’ll learn (or re-learn) the fundamentals and also (hopefully) make a few friends along the way.

Having a license doesn't mean you have to stop using 11m either mind, just gives you more options 👍

Aslo, its never been easier to get into HAM radio, so go for it. The hobby needs new blood or it will die.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

bear wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 10:44 I've just read the whole thread and concluded there are some right prats using this forum which is a shame.
Ignorant bastards.
You sound a right barrel of laughs....the heart n soul of any party...
You so forthcoming with the name calling in person or you yet another grumpy keyboard hero??
bear
Regular
Regular

Post by bear »

Try me
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

bear wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 04:48Try me
Yup.deffo the latter.... Tamworth's finest eh🤣🤣🤣
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

now now....lets not get our tweed jackets in a twist, all the Werthers may fall out the pockets

Play nice kids :D
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
MorseMan
Call Sign: 26TM2806

Post by MorseMan »

The positives in amateur radio is you can experiment as much or as little as you want.
You are not limited to just a very small frequency allocation & the hobby is as varied as you want it to be... Hf,data, satellite & tv + many more.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

For me its just a bit of fun. I don't operate that much now as I have other hobbies like bottle digging and metal detecting which I find a lot or more rewarding and fun, but when I'm not treasure hunting I do have the odd weeks where I'm constantly on the radio.

I don't know what else to say really...
MorseMan
Call Sign: 26TM2806

Post by MorseMan »

One of the main advantages is lack of channel use, On amateur radio it's pretty much channel free except 2m & up.
You find a clear spot on hf & call, you will be found.
On cb if there is a lift on 27.555 only the loudest stations will be heard.

I enjoy qrp contacts worldwide using a PP3 as the power supply.

There is nothing wrong with cb radio as without it many hams would not exist.Image

After all its all radio... & most of all it's fun !
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

I must admit I do not personally differentiate between CB and ham radio as is is all radio to me and I got licensed so that I have the option to use both.

Saying that, there is a lot more local activity around here on 11m, than on 10m or 2m, 70cm, OK you can talk further afield on the lower ham bands but if its a local chat you after the 11m CB is where its all at around the south Wales area.

In fact there are nets on 11m that are run by fully licensed hams and these allow all comers to participate, not just those with a license.

There is always someone to talk to as well on the PMR446 channels around here, usually between channel 8 and 16.

Around here lately people have been using channel 13 as a calling channel instead of 8 and it is getting very busy. Try calling between 430 and 440 megs (70cm) and you will be lucky to here anyone.

Obviously the levels of activity will vary around the country and I can only vouch for my area.

Also I, along with many others never call on 27.555 if there is a lift on. The triple 5 is a good place to learn there is activity on the band further afield (as is 27.025 the super bowl) but I have always just called CQ away from 555 and this has always been successful.

Both ham radio and CB have good and bad points and it is incorrect to say one is better than the other, OK I am probably a bit biased as I bought my first CB in 1979 (illegal am) but this ' I am better than you' attitude that some radio enthusiasts have, just need to be treated with the contempt it deserves.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................